Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 2 months ago

Why do white people refer to all Indian food as "curry"?

Curry is a plant that is rarely even used in Western countries. There is actually no curry in a "curry." Curry powder is just a blend of spices which still doesn t have curry leaves.

• Mark

Who knows?  But I get annoyed when people do that... Even "kheer".

Dude i have no idea. I've always called it Indian food. It's probably bc they dont know, it is a diff culture after all. Or maybe its a misunderstanding. 

• james

I have only had good curry once in America.  Now I know the problem. As were I live we have a curry tree in the yard for curry leaves. 

So curry powder has no curry spice in it? I didn't know that and thank you for enlightening me.Now I have to find out about curry plants.

• Mark

The curry plant is rather poisonous, and it doesn't grow in India.

• John

I'm guessing that you are the same guy that pops up whining about what people like to eat, every once in a while. So we can just ignore you like we always do.

• kswck2

Curry the plant and curry the seasoning is two different things. Curry is usually a Mix of spices.  

it is probably in reference that so many poor people are believed to eat a lot of curry. In some places they use the spices to kill the taste of what they put the curry on.

maybe cause someone told them thats what it was

Based on your question, the better question is: Why are you a racist moron who has no idea what you're talking about? Some Brits, not all white, much less all white people worldwide, call Indian takeaway, especially that which is ordered after pubs close, a 'curry' because that's what they invariably order-- Indian food with curry in it. And you trying to split some ridiculous, non-existent hair, whether it be over 'curry' and 'curry powder' or over 'curry' and Indian food with curry in it, well that piffle is just about the silliest bit of sophistry I've heard today because calling something by some part of it you wish to draw attention to is a standard rhetorical trope, so much so that it even has a name: synedoche.

• Zapata

Someone rattled your cage very well, didn't they?

We don't, I wouldn't say an onion bhaji, na'an bread or a samosa has anything to do with curry or even resembles curry.

• polly

I make curried vegetables sometimes to spice them up a bit

You are ignorant of what we "white people" really know.

Please educate yourself.

I prefer a basic mix of Turmeric, Coriander Cumin and powdered chili pepper. I like lots of Turmeric in my recipe and milder chili peppers. (personal tastes vary of course.)

Did yu know Curry Powder was developed as a pungent recipe to use to cover up the taste of tainted meat back before there was refrigeration? At least that is how the story goes in some areas of the Middle East.

• Zapata

India is not part of the "Middle East".