Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 2 months ago

Should I take my car to the dealership?

I have to replace the air bag on my car. I got a recall letter in the mail and it says I should take it to my local dealership to change it. I bought my car used and haven't gone to the car dealership ever. I feel like they're just trying to scam you for anything...even this. The car is a 2001 Honda Civic. So should I take it to them or find something else? Please let me know and thanks

I feel like the dealership might scam me or say something that will make me spend more. I don't like dealerships, I call them the car stealerships

It's a recall so the dealership will do it for free. Another place will not.

Make it clear that all they are to do is replace the airbag, nothing else. Most places require that you sign a work order before beginning any work. Make sure that's all that is on the work order and the total is $0. A recall should cost you nothing.

Call the dealership ahead of time and make an appointment. Most places will not take walk in business right now.

• F

This is a genuine recall. It affects mainly Civics and some Subaru’s from the early 2000s.

One person got killed by some shrapnel when their air bag went off and so they are recalling 10 million cars worldwide. This has taken at least 5 years so far. The advice is not to use your car and / or don’t carry a front seat passenger.(some are just passenger seat). Not very practical advice if you had to wait years, I thought the risks were too small to worry about and used mine normally until fixed.

• Scott

Just take it in for the recall. If they try to sell you other services, just say no.

It's a recall, dumbass.  That means the manufacturer is paying for it, not you.

• Ron

The recall requires you to get it done at the dealer. Man the **** up pansy boy.

• Kaz

A manufacturer recall is not a scam.  

Call the dealership and make an appointment - sometimes they don't have enough replacement parts on hand and you have to wait until they come in - so call sooner rather than later.  You don't want to take a chance on the air bag not working if you have an accident.  A recall is free and won't cost you anything..

If you want a free airbag that won't kill you go to the dealer where the recall is.

Go to a good mechanic shop and have your valves adjusted. All Honda motors get tight valve and you need to adjust them every 60,000 miles. You get lose of power and a bad idle from tight valves.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

Only a Honda dealer can perform the recall. Recalls are free of charge and paid for by the manufacture for your safety, it's not a scam. Most places perform a multi-point inspection on every car that comes in for service to look for components that need to be replaced, serviced, or repaired. If they find anything with the MPI, you can simply decline it and take your business elsewhere. If it's that big a deal to you, just don't get the recall done and maybe the airbag wont deploy or maybe it will blow shrapnel into your body.

You definitely need to get it replaced but you can take it anywhere to get it fixed and it may be cheaper to go somewhere else. The dealership will probably charge more.