? asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 4 months ago

Do you remember to feed the squirrels in your yard, and give them fresh water to drink? Disease spreads when animals become ill.?

I'm not asking if disease spreads when animals become ill. It's just a fact. Feed the squirrels. We all have to share the Earth together. Helping animals helps everyone.

NO they are rodents and can fend for themselves, besides my neighbors do enough damage feeding them.

No, I let the freeloaders fend for themselves.

• Mr.357

I don't have squirrels in my yard.  When the kids were little, I would send them out to shoot the squirrels and rabbits for dinner.  Now that they are older, a couple of barn cats eat the squirrels and rabbits.

• cc

I have a squirrenatar...they go in and dont come out the same way.  

hahaha... Actually I just set out a self filling water dish yesterday on Ft. Hood at a area there which has squirrels and also left them some walnuts.. Its at a trail which is 2 miles as a loop for running, walking etc. next to III Corp HQ. I go there almost daily so I know they will at least have 1 gallon of water each day I am there. They will also take Peanuts and Walnuts from my fingers and sit there and eat them then come back to my hands for more.

Squirrels are rodents, when you feed them you upset the natural balance and their population expands and they compete for nesting space, damaging and contaminating my attic and barnspace. Squirrels can carry tularemia, typhus, plague, and ringworm, which can infect my chickens and rabbits, which are my food supply. So feeding squirrels can cause me to hunt larger game if they destroy my stock. When squirrels nest in my barn and steal chicken feed I feed them, .22 caliber lead!

I feed my squirrels every day. I give them unsalted peanuts in a little pan, in my back garden. They love them. And they are quite friendly with me. They also get fresh water. I also feed the birds, the bees and the possums--all of which are beneficial animals. 

No, I just let my dog chase them up the trees. They look pretty ******* healthy to me.

• y

Nope, sorry, but my dog is supposed to chase all that wildlife out of my yard. Now, I do have an acre that my deck overlooks that he isn't allowed to go into. I get my fill of little critter love, watching the herons, the beaver, Hell even that 7 foot black snack that came around last week. Scared the crap out of me.

• Kenny

Disease spreads when animals overpopulate an area .