Marvin
Marvin asked in TravelAir Travel · 2 months ago

How do you travel with your prescriptions?

I often buy my prescriptions in Thailand or Myanmar. In those countries you can buy all the blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, antibiotics, and other meds over the counter. None of the bottles have my name on them.

I put my pills in a dispenser with the days of the week on it. I carry the dispenser in my carry on bag. I have never been questioned ever.

I suppose I do not look like a druggy. Also the pills I take are not narcotics so I guess they garner little attention.

I have been to 26 countries. 

I report any and all answers that use the word "Troll", "Gaytarded" or simular language.

I do not come close to looking like a druggy. It is easy to spot a drug user because they look much older than they are.  I am 54, and I can easily pass for 35.

Wow, so many rude answers had to be reported and blocked.  Will the rudeness on Y!A ever end? Is it neccessary to call me a "troll", a "12 year old", or whatever.  What happned to manors?

Ask Roger druglord k

If and when travelling from or within the U.S., keep your prescription pills stowed in your carry-on when going through security. 

It is highly not recommended for storage in checked baggage due to the possibility of the baggage not making its flight.

Source(s): Work part-time as a TSA officer.

If you're concerned about bringing your prescription medication on flights, bring the actual prescription itself, as a back-up. Hopefully, everyone in airport security is okay with these things but I suggest keep it in the little medical bottle it comes in, so you don't arouse suspicion 

• Marvin

I am not concerned. I am wondering why so many other people are.

• MS

Airport security is not concerned with your medications because they pose no flight to the plane.  Customs (when you travel internationally) is not going to be concerned when it looks like you have only enough for personal use for the duration of your travel (which seems to be the case with them being in a travel pill case).  There are some countries that might investigate the specifics of the medication, but I've never encountered that and I travel with my medication the same way.  You are not required to carry your prescription or have your medications in original containers, although it's recommended for some international travel.

• Marvin

Did you read someone elses question? I never said I thought airport security was concenred with my medications.

This sounds very much like a trolling question..

1. I suppose I don't look like a druggy.

What does a druggy look like ?

I have been to 26 countries.

What are you a millionaire. If you have been to 26 countries, why are you asking this question when you should already know the answers. 

• Marvin

I report all posted that use the word "Troll".

you are fine to travel with medicines

as long as the drug sniffing dogs dont

bark at you at the airport

• Marvin

Drug sniffing dogs do not report high blood pressure meds, or cholesterol meds.

I also take a long list of various supplements and medications every day.  I have no problems with the supplement and their strength and purity - but some of my medications can ONLY be the brand name, not any kind of generic.  Even in US generic drugs, the potency is allowed to deviate up or down from the stated amount, by 20 percent.  So one month - could be at 80 pc.  Next month - 120 pc!  This caused on the past, some interesting trips to the ER.  If what YOU take, for YOUR conditions, is withing the margin that you think safe - then you go with that.  As far as packing for international trips - I have one of those large frames with multiple compartments - and alarms on my phone for 8 different medical dosings.  I made a DB/map with photos, of what goes where, when - use this even at home.  Going thru security, everything is in original lableled containers, with enough plus extra for the trip  - the REAL stash stays home. I have EXCELLENT insurance - a career of Union membership! - and the infinitesimal difference in price I would pay for drugs in some skeevy foreign place (because you KNOW they are not adhering to US standards for everything . . .), compared to me staying ABOVE GROUND - is not a problem.  If YOU are OK with buying this stuff - you go right ahead.  For you to advise OTHERS to do this, is like telling folks to *drink bleach*, or "shine a UV-C light inside their body". 

• Mamianka

Lucky you. Some of us are *brittle patients* and can take ONLY brand names of certain drugs, that are so certified.  No 2 of us are the same.

I put my pills, and I take multiple ones, into two bottles. One is labeled AM for the pills I take in the morning, and one is labeled PM for those I take at dinner.

No TSA person has ever looked twice at them.

They seem to not really care about medications.

• Marvin

The person who called me a "Troll" thumbed everyone down.  I reported him.