Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

I am 21 and I still have no idea what I want to pursue. Nothing interests me. What is the best thing to major at in college?

I wanted to apply to the pharmacy school but I have heard that the job market is saturated and you can not find a job and I found out that they have to take high amounts of student loans. Is that true?

• April

The best thing to do is talk to people working in the field that interests you about the career path they took. (Chances are, if you don't know anybody working the job you're aiming to get, it's not in demand in your area.) You'll get much more reliable and individualized information by speaking to someone in specific about this than strangers on the internet. Remember, pursuing a costly degree is the biggest financial decision you'll make in your life. Hopefully you'll have a career that you'll stay in 40 years, not 5-10 years. 

There isn't a one size fits all. You have to take into consideration the length of time it will take to get the degree, debt accumulated, expected entry-level earnings, job security/room for advancement, employment outlook, job satisfaction, location, availability of jobs, and if you're actually going to use your degree later on in life or just be a stay at home parent. 

Ask someone in the field what education/experience requirements are needed to land an entry-level position at the company, what a typical workday looks like, compensation/benefits, work-life balance, company culture, employee tenure, challenges the company is facing, etc. to find a possible career path. 

College isn't an extension of high school.

Just do what you really want to do. Don't be bothered so much by someone's opinion. If you love your work, you will do a great job. Just be yourself. You can do it. Just think of what you love doing. 

• NJ2 months agoReport

I totally agree with this!

https://njarboladura.wixsite.com/ezlikesundays

You choose a major in college only after completing two years of general education requirements. General education might stimulate your interest in something

Who knows if it's true? I imagine it might be in some circumstances and not so in other situations. 

Okay--you don't know what you want. You're 21. You're not alone. A lot of people start somewhere then decide they don't want to do that and move somewhere else. It's a free country. You can change your mind as many times as you want to. 

No one is forcing you to "pick" the rest of your life right now. If you don't have a major in mind, then take a general studies course until you find something that DOES interest you, then purse THAT. In most colleges and universities, your first two (sometimes three) years are your required courses anyway--and you don't HAVE to declare a major. 

Don't take anything you hear about any particular profession as gospel either. In some areas there may be a crying need for pharmacists--and your degree would be valuable. In other areas, it may NOT be. You can't sort through any of this before gaining that degree anyway--so if you want to, go for it. Try to find alternative ways to fund your college courses, though, especially if you are in danger of going deeply into debt right now. Explore and search while you're in college. That's what college is FOR. It's not for laying out the plan of your life immediately. 

I never knew what I wanted to do so I joined the military when i was 20, I don’t have a college degree but I have a dd-214

when undecided move with the heard.

• Bulldog redux

Or instead, move with the herd.

If you want a PharmD, I suggest getting a PharmD.  If you are any good and interested in the field, you will likely get a job and not hate it.  That is worth it in and of itself.

If you can't land a pharmacist job, you can work in pharmaceutical research or some sort of laboratory science research job until you do.

you would be best served by asking the actual people involved in pharmacy school, their placement office, and several real life pharmacists.

Pharmacy pays well but it's not a growth job industry

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/pharmacists.htm

Have you taken any aptitude tests?

Forget going to a four-year college. Go to community college and major in radiation therapy. You'll be done in two years and the job pays well. Radiation therapy is used to treat cancer patients.

• justabe1020

its hard to find a job in radiation therapy, thats the only problem!