MJ asked in Social SciencePsychology · 3 months ago

Why do I feel angry most of the time?

I keep thinking about past experiences with people and it gets to me a lot.

I keep thinking about times when people treated me badly or times when i did something stupid or bad and I get really emotional about it.

Yeah tell me about it. “Slings and arrows of outrageous fortune” is my (rather lengthy) middle name. Mr. Angry here. And I’m in my mid-60s. That’s something I never outgrew. Always licking my wounds about past mistreatment and injustices. Relationship humiliations, financial rapes, psychological and physical crippling by doctors and psychiatrists. And on and on.Story of my life to some extent. They were only brief interludes  in my life when I didn’t do this, or to a much more limited extent. I do not suffer fools or injustices gladly. And yet I’m not good at getting revenge either. Just makes me a bit less afraid of death maybe since this life can be such an utter sh!t show and the prospect of not having to live it anymore has often seemed rather appealing, especially as I advance in age.. “To be or not to be”...indeed.

Are you between the ages of 16 and 30?  If so, that's why you feel angry most of the time.

Oh my god same with me! However in a movie I love to watch over and over again, 'you can't let the past run your life'. This speaks so true to your situation and to a lot of other peoples'. The first love I ever had has now got a girlfriend and I had plenty of chances to be with him and to make my dreams come true. Now that I know and he knows it will never happen, I think about him and the life we could have had every single day. I get emotional about it too, but then I look back at all the nice things he has said to me over the 4 years I have known him and I remind myself of that every day. You slowly but surely find moments that help you move on, who cares if you've done bad things in the past? I have. I have made it my mission to always just be better. You will be okay :)

I've been going through the same thing for over 10 years!! I felt a bit better when I realised when the 'stupid things' being replayed in my head were exaggerated to a lot worse than they actually were! AND, many times - it wasn't ME who did the stupid thing - but someone else! Other times when the thoughts start, I would actually say - stop out loud - and it would. It's become a cliche - but I also found exercise (long walks) helped cut them out a lot. Whether it's doing something else that gets your mind off it (I listen to my ipod) or it's because the blood gets pumping - but it really works. These thoughts will make you really depressed - please try the long walks.

• L

First of all, STOP thinking about things you can NOT change!!!!!!!!!  LET IT GO!

You need to learn to NOT take things personal.  GROW A SPINE!

Hello MJ, you basically have answered the question by yourself. You are angry because of your thoughts ,nothing else. How the others are acting is not in your control and there is not much you can do about it. However your thoughts are entirely yours.  A thought has no relevance in our existence, the past is a thought and the future is a thought , none have any existential value. This moment is the only reality that you can experience, rest doesn't matter. The mind is a very powerful tool , it can create misery or bliss. Right now you are under burden because your mind is just providing you what you are asking for - past and future, stop it and ask your mind to focus on present , be aware about your body , get out and feel the air on your skin, be aware about the environment, live the moment and enjoy it. You are living in this moment , there is no other way - make it worth!  

Time to stop living in the past Why relive unhappy moments? Time to make happy moments and connecting with people who care about you.

• OTTO

Replace angry scenes with happy scenes. Replace mean faces with kind faces. Your happiness depends on it!

Maybe you just need to get laid

You need to live,not ruminate over the past.

Ignore it when it calls or get psychological help.