How accurate is kelley blue book?

i want to trade in my car and I want to know if its accurate or not!

It’s the only one of its kind. It just gives you a range in what you can expect. 

My advice is to you is if you don’t think you’re getting a fair deal then don’t trade it in. Salesman will use every play in the book to give you as little as possible. I had a salesman telling me that just because my car is in the 90,000 mile range, there are very few cars that goes beyond that range so it’s using the price range from cars from fewer miles and extrapolating what I would expect to get. We know that’s bull because most cars today can go up to 200,000 without a problem if it’s regularly maintained. 

Trade in values tend to be on the low end. Black Book is far more accurate. (Not free)

It's called a guideline for a reason.

• Ron

Dealers don't use KBB so it's pointless to bother with it. They will give you what they want to and you aren't obligated to take it

• F

It will be inaccurate in so far as, if you’re buying , the listed prices will be way lower than the dealers sticker price. However, when it comes to your trade in, it will be wildly optimistic.

You get a range of values, so there is plenty of latitude in their evaluations.

There is no such thing as a "accurate" used car value from a service such as Kelley Blue Book. Dealer trade-in values are set by dealers according to what they can negotiate with the customer, what they think they can sell it for, and their profit objectives -- all of which has nothing to do with Kelley Blue Book or any other such guide. 

Although such guides attempt to use as much data as possible, they can't determine sale or trade values in a particular town or by individual dealers in that town. You can use the guides to get a rough idea of trade values but don't expect a dealer to agree with it.

It’s owned by a company that sells used cars, what does that tell you?  It artificially inflates the polices of used cars for their own profits.  

If you go to a dealer; the most you can hope for...even if the vehicle is in pristine condition is "poor" in value. The rest you must negotiate privately. Best to sell the car yourself or a 3rd party.

• Enigma

What the Kelly Blue Book says and what the dealer will actually give you for your trade will be two different things. Expect less,much less.