Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 1 month ago

What's your least favorite cuisine? What dishes have you tried and can you say that your experience with that cuisine was authentic?

• Favorite Answer

This is hardly fair since I only had it once and it was decades ago, but it was enough to totally turn me off - Ethiopian food. And, yes, I believe it was quite authentic. My description of it is pre-chewed food eaten with a lemony dish sponge.

EDIT: haha - went to find a picture of it to jog my memory and see if maybe I was wrong, but this is what was on Wikipedia - it really does sum it up ;)

• John

There's a Nigerian place not far from our house. We ate there once and you wouldn't call it BAD. Rice and beans and root vegetables, everything seems to be boiled. Some root paste like poi or rutabaga or something. It's like everything was for people living in poverty and I wouldn't mind that if anything had flavor. It was all boiled, bland food on a plate. The owner is proudly Nigerian and everybody loves her in the community. The food just kind of sucks, is all. I'm happy to have sampled the culture once but we never went back.

East Indian. I cannot handle hot spices. My husband loves the flavor of hot spices, but to my tongue there is no flavor ... just pain. And my throat seizes up and I choke. Everyone's body is a little bit different, and mine just does not handle hot spices.

Authentic? We have a large East Indian population in my city, and many Indian restaurants, run by immigrated Indians, who have an East Indian clientele. I have eaten in their restaurants. I believe my experience is authentic.

Do not really have a least favorite cuisine, I do have least favorite foods, or ingredients. 

Really dislike cilantro so that leaves out a LOT of dishes from a variety of cuisines. 

Can not stand Durian..I have to hand it to the first person that tried it, how you can eat something that smells like a cross between dirty sweat socks and a dead animal is beyond me. 

And I do not like spice so hot that you can not taste the actual food. Some heat is great but to intentionally eat something that is so hot it leaves you numb does not make sense to me

• chinese, they have all weird stuffs.

Probably Thai.   I just do not like the flavor of peanuts or sesame, and although I like seafood, I'm not a fan of fish sauce. 

• This is the most surprising answer to me. I thought I had died and gone to heaven the first time I had Thai food. The exotic flavors and massive contrast of textures and flavors - it all seems amazing to me still. Except for the stuff that is too hot to enjoy.

• kswck2

Pretty much anything that is still moving when it hits my plate.

• patty

peri peri chicken.............................

• Webbo

Italian I guess, just not keen on pizza or lasagne.

Korean, Significantly distinct form other asian cuisines, and I tried it whilst as street food in Seoul, so was about as authentic as it gets.