Peggy asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 4 months ago

Are teachers allowed to let other people grade their students' work?

A lot of my friends became teachers after college and one of them asked me to help them grade their students' work. I don't feel comfortable doing that and think it is wrong to ask someone to grade for your class. I asked several other friends who are teachers and they have all said that they ask other people to help them grade assignments and/or that they don't see any issue with it. I don't mean like they have a teaching assistant do it, I mean they ask friends and family who don't work in the education industry to assist them with grading. 

My question is, are teachers allowed to do this?

If any Tom, Dick or Harry can mark my papers, WHY do we have teachers?

I can home school and ask my parents, siblings, neighbors or a relative to mark my papers.

If you don't like marking your students paper, why even bother to be a teacher? Are you that lazy? What kind of example you are portraying? It is okay if someone else did my homework?

It's absurd and the principle needs to know what a LAZY moron teaches in the institute.

Furthermore, when I mark their papers, I get to know them through their work. It helps me grade their year end assessment report.

I'm flabbergasted to know there are such 'educators' out there. No respect at all :(

I don't care for the idea, but as long as the answers are purely factual - clearly either Right or Wrong - then I don't see any real problem.

But obviously only the teacher should grade essay papers, where content and style matter as much as factual accuracy.

Yes, they are allowed. I don't know any teachers that do that other than with a TA. But there is nothing specifically unethical or illegal about it. Student privacy laws about laws as they are currently interpreted only apply to the student records, which as of this moment only would be grades and such that would go on their transcript, not the grade of an individual assessment. Unless a state or district has specific laws about this (which I doubt) teachers can do it (although I wouldn't recommend it)

Also it is pretty common practice for students to exchange papers and grade another students'

• ?

Technically, NO.

i would hope not, i think its wrong

From the point of educational standards, if the graders are competent, I don't see why there would be a problem.

Asking friends and family to do it for free, is irregular.  I'd do it if the teacher was in some exceptional jam, just as I would help any friend in distress.  But only on a temporary basis.

If I was just sitting on my hands due to the pandemic, I might welcome some extra work to keep challenged.  But again, only on a temporary basis.