My truck was hit from behind today.?

The pickup in front of me which was pulling a trailer, was moving to the outside lane, however, due to traffic, he still block half of my lane in front of me, so I had to stop, I was stop for about 15 - 20 seconds, when I was hit from behind by a van which was merging from the service road onto the road I was on, and I was hit while at a stop, from behind, and my brake lights did work. who is at fault?

• Snezzy

Answers thus far are correct. The guy who hit you is at fault. Here are some details of what you do or should have done:

1. Get driver's info. Plate number, driver's license info, his insurance company.

2. Note the date, time and location.

3. Give all this info to YOUR insurance co., and do not bother calling his.

4. Wait for your ins co to do their work.

If the cops showed up, so much the better. If other guy does not have insurance or does not have a valid license then you had better hope you added "uninsured motorist" coverage to your policy beforehand.

• Snezzy

(continued from previous) Some rear-end collisions are caused by "brake-check" trolls who try to cause the car behind to hit them. (This is best done by having no brake lights.) Insurance companies are very much aware of insurance fraud scams.

• Edna

You got hit in the rear?  That's too bad, but when you're hit from behind, the guy who hit you is always at fault. 

Call your insurance agency and tell them what happened. Do what they tell you to do, and turn the entire problem over to them and let them handle it. That's what you've been paying them to do.

They'll  ask you to get an estimate of the cost of repairs, cut you a check to repair your damages, and they'll go after the guy who hit you and his insurance company  for reimbursement of their expenses.

The guy who drove into you is at fault for not keeping his vehicle under control.

-Driving since 1969

• Ron

Is this a trick question?

The driver who rearended you.

The person who hit you.