Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 2 months ago

Can I live with ingrown toenail?

So if I drink antibiotics that’s been prescribed by my doctor, and the infection goes away, can I live with an ingrown toenail  or do I have to go get it cut off

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

An ingrown toenail that is deeply ingrown usually has to be removed by a podiatrist in a very quick and simple procedure. The podiatrist will probably prescribe a week's worth of antibiotics to be taken after the nail is removed, in order to prevent infection.

It the toenail is deeply enough ingrown to be causing  you pain, antibiotics won't do any good, and the infection won't go away. The ingrown toenail will cause the infection to continue, unless the toenail is removed.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

NO. It has to be cut down the side all the way to the root, then acid is put on q tips and shoved in the hole to burn the base of the nail so it does`nt grow back. Then excess infected flesh is cut away and cauterized. Antibiotic ointment is packed into the holes, and it gets bandaged up. You have to care for it for a month or two.  Then it will grow back a lot more normally, and NO more infected toe. Which can kill you, by the way.

• 2 months ago

From experience, an ingrown toenail can when growing back in grow back ingrown and the procedure has to be done again until it grows back in the right way.

• k w
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

ask a foot doctor/podiatrist......

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Generally the infection, if present, is secondary to the ingrown nail, the nail is actually out and off of the nail plate and growing into tissue causing quite an inflammatory reaction. They dont have to get infected but they do cause pain and overgrowth of scar tissue called a pyoderma granulosa. Antibiotics will do nothing to fix the nail problem and may or may not even address an infection there.

• 2 months ago

It's a good idea to talk with a board-certified podiatrist as the ingrown toenail may still apparently be at risk for being infected if it stays put.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.