Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 2 months ago

Are collages that accept low gpa scores as not great as collages that only accept higher gpa?

I m not saying my gpa is bad. I m just wondering if I end up with a bad gpa and the only options are the collages that accept low gpa are available...would they offer the same level of education or do you get what you get? Are they worse than the ones that only accept 3.0 gpa?

Yes and no, and yes and no.  

1. Colleges that are highly selective and have a strong academic reputation (Harvard, University of Chicago, Stanford) are going to provide a more rigorous academic environment and have higher academic standards that a college who regularly admits 80% of their applicants and has significantly lower academic standards.

2. Going to a lower ranked college does not mean the student won't get a decent education. It just means they won't get the same education they'd be offered at a more prestigious or higher rank school.

3. Sometimes, it is better to be a top-ranked student at a less rigorous university than it is to be a lower ranked student at a top university (read Malcom Gladwell's David and Goliath). 

4. There are both community colleges and four-year colleges/universities that do accept students with GPA below 3.0, particularly if the student has an SAT or ACT score that suggest they are capable or college-level success. No school wants to admit a student who is likely to fail.

You can find the GPA and SAT/ACT of admitted students for hundreds of colleges and universities on websites like Niche and BigFuture and national rankings on US News & World Report. 

Ranking and academic rigor are not the only criteria important to a successful college experience.  Consider other things like class size, research opportunities, campus culture, weather, distance from home, and programs offer as well as costs. 

Colleges not collages.

• drip

Well if you compare Eastern Illinois University to Yale, then yes EIU would be considered much worse and the education level would not be the same. Higher ranked schools are academically more rigorous. You can also find professors have more connections. Schools like Ohio State University, Michigan State University, Illinois State University are going to offer more opportunities than a school like Eastern Illinois. They will have more research projects, better libraries, labs, facilities.  

You need to look at other statistics.  You could find universities with a higher acceptance rate and/or accept student with 2.5 GPA have a higher rate of student student who drop out or are expelled due to low grades.  Also that more students take longer than 4 years to graduate.  

My daughter and her husband were in Honors College at their public state university. I believe that made a big difference.  

Eastern Illinois University is an accredited non for profit public state school And you can still get a decent education there. You can still be successful.  Where you went to college can only take  you so far. The rest is up to you. 

• Squid

You can get a good education at any accredited college or university.  The biggest factor is your own attitude and the amount of work you put into it.

You can get a decent education at any college that is accredited. The elite schools get many times more applications than they can accept. That means they are pickier about who they accept. With more highly qualified, hard-working students, the competition for grades is much harder, so everyone works harder. That means that those students learn more and have the work ethic to be successful after school, which further elevates the reputation of the school. As an example, I went to an elite university, and I don't think there was any semester where I didn't have at least three 30-page term papers to do. Then I went to work at a public university and saw students freaking out if they had one 10 page paper to do. 

c o l l E g e