Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Is it realistic to expect 100,000 yearly salary the first year out of college?

Thoughts

• cool

No it is not realistic, but it is possible. You just need to choose one of the industries that pay in that range (Software, Finance, Law) and make sure you are good at getting internships. 

It might be worth getting professional coaching on cover letters and online tests. By the way, I am assuming that the economy is returning to normal. That may be an unreasonable assumption.

I would say it's unrealistic to even expect a job lol It's been a year since I graduated college, and most of my friends and I still don't have job in the field we studied. I have one friend who majored in finance moved to NYC and makes $75,000 a year and have another who majored in engineering and is making around the same. But $100,000 is very unrealistic. I would aim for half of that, depending on what you studied. 

No, I would say not. No matter how highly qualified you are your start at the same place as everyone else, the bottom. Remember, being good at the job does not necessarily depend on how many exams you have passed. In my job, in Government, I see many very highly qualified peo0ple, who seem to struggle at the simplest task.

Extremely unrealistic.  There is no undergrad degree with a median starting salary even close to $100,000 a year.  Even engineering degrees tend to start in the high $50k-$66k range from top tier universities.  If you managed this, you'd be a pretty extreme outlier in the top 0.3% or less of graduating students.

Among all degrees, the all around average (not starting) salary is about half of $100,000 at $52,000 (for all levels of experience).  With a Master's degree this climbs to $78,000 and with a PhD this hits just over $82,000.  

A $100,000 salary tends to come with a solid 15-20 years of experience or graduate degrees... or nepotism.  So unless your parents are wealthy already and can get you a cushy job somewhere, don't expect six figures anytime in the immediate future.  

My first job paid me $32,000.  It took me 17 years after finishing college to hit a six-figure salary myself, with a PhD and two Master's degrees.  Perhaps I could have done it with just a BA, but I would have to have really busted my hump to do it in the same amount of time if not more.

I suppose the question becomes why you think you deserve a six-figure salary straight out of school with no experience?  Degrees open the door, but you have to do the work inside to get the results.

• justabe1020

a friend of mine who studied petroleum engineering took a job starting $93,000 6 months after graduating from college. Its doable. Very rare though

Maybe if Daddy takes you on board in a successful family business!  Seriously, everything is relative, and related to the profession, but I would say 'no' as a general rule.

• fcas80

Very unrealistic.  Research some hiring sites to see that.

Not really. Though it would definitely depend on the degree, the contacts you have, the opportunities available and the type of job. 

depending on your degree, sure

• Laurie

Yes, if you are a pro athlete or actor signed for a major film.

Yes it is for certain STEM areas of expertise. But for advanced degrees mainly: "Higher Education, Higher Salaries

Within STEM fields, where salaries already tend to be higher than normal, STEM education level influences salary in profound ways. Many professionals with doctoral or professional degrees will earn over $100,000 a year, even in entry-level positions with no previous experience.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics listed several jobs as having median salaries above $100,000, including many of those mentioned as the best jobs for STEM graduates. Engineering and computer science jobs dominated the list of highest paying STEM jobs, along with astronomers, physicists and mathematicians with graduate and doctoral degrees." [https://adastra.fit.edu/blog/floridatechbound/high...