Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 2 months ago

How do i stop being scared when i drive?

I have my own car and a drivers liscense. I drive it to work almost everyday but i only drive on a one way street where the speed limit is 30 mph. I have tried going on the highway once and i almost got into an accident because i didn't merge fast enough. Im also scared of two way streets How do i get over this fear?

you most likely never will 

• Erik

Just keep driving, the more you do it the easier it will become.

How an earth did you pass your driving test? Isn't part of the test on a highway? You shouldn't be driving.

• F

When I’m scared, I just close my eyes and imagine something nice.

No wait!.............

There are TWO sources for help.  A driving school to help build your confidence and experience, and a therapist to find out if you have an emotional problem.

How old are you?

How long have you had a driver's license?

Have you been in a motor vehicle accident as a passenger?

One word ... PRACTICE ... with someone who knows what they're doing seated next to you.

You need to build your confidence and the only way to do that is to have more successes than failures. You gotta keep driving and just be aware of everything around you. Stay several steps ahead of the car. Take notice of the cars, the kid on the bike, even the cat. You have to be proactive always, not reactive. You should be able to see a potential accident coming and avoid getting into that situation. When merging you have to turn on your blinker and speed up, when it feels safe, merge. Cars in the right lane "Should" either change lanes or slow down, but they don't always. A lot of people become ******* once they get behind a wheel. So you have to be a little aggressive and take charge of your lane. And when someone is merging on you, be that person you want in the right lane when you are trying to merge. Maybe take a more experienced driver with you a couple times on the freeway to give you an extra set of eyes so you can build some confidence. You got this!

Source(s): 27 years driving and 6 years as a pilot

Driving lessons will definitely help build your confidence because you will have someone pointing out exactly what the difference is between you and even the best driver. Make sure it is someone new that you don't know.

You need driving lessons.  Yes I know you already have a licence, you need the lessons anyway.

• Snezzy

Indeed! Absolutely correct. Friends and relatives tend to handle mistakes by yelling at the driver, exactly the opposite of what they should do. Professionals, the good ones anyway, are calm and precise.