Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentTechnology · 4 months ago

Are there any entry level jobs that teach technical skills?

I'm 22, didn't do so hot first time around in college (Psychology program at a school I didn't care for) and am trying to go back. I don't have much money and am also trying to enlist in the reserves to help with that, but suffered an injury that is making the process take quite a while. Basically right now I am a 22 year old, who has been highly proficient in test-taking (top 8% ASVAB, to 20% ACT, etc.) but has never been a great student, and am struggling to find jobs that excite me in the slightest or give me any skills. I love studying psychology and science on my own, but am very interested in learning some hands-on technical skills which I have had very little exposure to. I would be thrilled to get experience in anything from working at a local airport helping with aircraft maintenance, or in an auto shop, to learning some computer hardware or software skills or electronics. I've heard from older people that this sort of thing used to be the norm through apprenticeships and hands-on training, but today it seems like all I can find is what is available through paying thousands for college tuition and supporting yourself for four years of school through bagging groceries or doing security or something. The military seems like the best option for obtaining these skills and getting work experience, but again, I am having some health issues that are prohibiting that at current. Any advice for someone in my position would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Employers rarely hire people who they need to train in the basic skills of the job.  Sure, they will train you on the specific software or how to use a specific machine, but they expect you to be proficient in general aspects of how those things work.

If you want to be an airline mechanic, sign up for a trade school training program -- or getting to the air force. 

I think the issue is that you expect a job to make you happy, give you with training, and provide you with interesting work.  That isn't how life works.  You and you alone are responsible for developing your own skills and knowledge and applying them to jobs based on the requirements of those jobs.  If you are lucky, you find work that pays decently and provide some sense of satisfaction.  You use your personal time to find fulfillment with hobbies, activities, and relationships.  

• Tasm

The military is your best bet. They will train you and pay you. I would try for the Airforce first, that is the best one. Although, they have a space force now which might be cool.

In the real world, test taking is not really of much value.