is it okay to teach a daughter or son to wash their own laundry before they are eight years old?

of course.. i believe not teaching children how to do stuff is abuse, because it makes them feel useless.. like a burden.. and dumb.. and slow.. my parents never allowed me to do anything and when i wanted to learn they told me that i was too slow. it really took a toll on me. at age 18, i didn't know how to do the laundry, didn't know how to cook , didn't know how to do a dishwasher, didn't know how to mop, because i wasn't allowed to do those things; when i asked to do so things my mom would say that i was too slow.. and gonna ruin the appilances, or burn the house down... it hurt me so bad, and then she said i couldn't leave the house because i was too uncapable of being on my house and that no body wanted someone that couldn't take care of themselves; and how i was useless because i couldn't clean or cook.. which was true... and that no1 wud take care of me and i was too slow to be on my own.... so i went into a mental health group home that i put myself there (i begged to get into it.. bc the people said i was fine and dind't need it) because they figure peopole r too sick to know basic life skills; and they taught me it there and it helped me a lot. also i had anxiety and depresed because not being taught stuff made me feel so bad about myself... after being in the group home.. and knowing how to do stuff for myself i felt better about myself.. and even today i have this thing now where i feel likei always gotta do stuff for people; cook for them.. clean for them... because it makes me feel important.. because growing up i felt not important not being able to do stuff that i was self sufficent of.. and it got to the point where i was doing everythin gfor people its crazy

Source(s): life

sure, nothing wrong with learning self- sufficiency

• e9601:

And why can't you do the laundry? 8 is still a child, not an adult or even a teen. Teach them to clean up their room.

Yes, they need to learn to be independent and do things on their own.

• L

Of course.  The younger you teach children to be independent - the more prepared they will be when they get older and finally move out on their own.  Teach them to cook and clean too.

It is never too early to learn new things.

I'd wait until they are 10 or 12. There are other things you can teach them at eight -- how to pick up their rooms, dry the dishes, make sure they can bathe themselves, etc.

I learned how to do my own laundry when I was 12. It's not that hard. No reason someone younger couldn't learn to do it too.

• edward

My parents taught me to use the laundry chute when i was very young. To me the laundry just vanished and appeared again in the basement. I learned how to do the laundry when i was about 9 though, also the time i learned how to wash dishes by hand (we had a dishwasher though) and cook simple snacks

i dont see why not