is it okay to teach a daughter or son to wash their own laundry before they are eight years old?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

of course.. i believe not teaching children how to do stuff is abuse, because it makes them feel useless.. like a burden.. and dumb.. and slow.. my parents never allowed me to do anything and when i wanted to learn they told me that i was too slow. it really took a toll on me. at age 18, i didn't know how to do the laundry, didn't know how to cook , didn't know how to do a dishwasher, didn't know how to mop, because i wasn't allowed to do those things; when i asked to do so things my mom would say that i was too slow.. and gonna ruin the appilances, or burn the house down... it hurt me so bad, and then she said i couldn't leave the house because i was too uncapable of being on my house and that no body wanted someone that couldn't take care of themselves; and how i was useless because i couldn't clean or cook.. which was true... and that no1 wud take care of me and i was too slow to be on my own.... so i went into a mental health group home that i put myself there (i begged to get into it.. bc the people said i was fine and dind't need it) because they figure peopole r too sick to know basic life skills; and they taught me it there and it helped me a lot. also i had anxiety and depresed because not being taught stuff made me feel so bad about myself... after being in the group home.. and knowing how to do stuff for myself i felt better about myself.. and even today i have this thing now where i feel likei always gotta do stuff for people; cook for them.. clean for them... because it makes me feel important.. because growing up i felt not important not being able to do stuff that i was self sufficent of.. and it got to the point where i was doing everythin gfor people its crazy

Source(s): life
  • 5 months ago

sure, nothing wrong with learning self- sufficiency

• e9601:
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

And why can't you do the laundry? 8 is still a child, not an adult or even a teen. Teach them to clean up their room.

• 5 months ago

Yes, they need to learn to be independent and do things on their own.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • L
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

Of course.  The younger you teach children to be independent - the more prepared they will be when they get older and finally move out on their own.  Teach them to cook and clean too.

• 5 months ago

It is never too early to learn new things.

• 5 months ago

I'd wait until they are 10 or 12. There are other things you can teach them at eight -- how to pick up their rooms, dry the dishes, make sure they can bathe themselves, etc.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

I learned how to do my own laundry when I was 12. It's not that hard. No reason someone younger couldn't learn to do it too.

• edward
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

My parents taught me to use the laundry chute when i was very young. To me the laundry just vanished and appeared again in the basement. I learned how to do the laundry when i was about 9 though, also the time i learned how to wash dishes by hand (we had a dishwasher though) and cook simple snacks

• 5 months ago

i dont see why not

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.