Things to do in NYC for german tourists?

My grandmother and her cousin are coming to NYC next May to celebrate their 80th birthday together. My grandma speaks english and has lived in American for 50 years but her cousin doesn't speak any english. I'm helping my grandma plan the trip but want to ensure that they'll both be safe and have fun, any suggestions? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Beyond all the other fine museums, they would enjoy the Neue Gallery. Many German and Austrian works - including some magnificent Klimt - including the Lady In Gold that was the focus of the Helen Mirrin movie a few years ago.  There is a nice cafe where they can get "sachertort mit schlag, und caffee".  Many of these works were repatriated after WW2 - and of course, the son of Estelle Lauder purchased quite a few, including the great Klimt.  If they like opera, then see what is going on at the Met Opera.  Just do not wear these ladies out, over-filling a day!  We travel a lot internationally, and are BIG fans of arts museums, as well as architecture - but you should always be rested enough to appreciate what you do and see.  The Met Museum has plenty of places to sit, eat, etc. - the Frick, not as many, but it is not as big, either.  I hope they enjoy their double-birthday celebration! 

Everything that a Chinese or Italian or even American tourists do.  Other than shows where they may not understand the dialogue, there is nothing that is geared towards a specific ethnicity

Their interests aren't defined by their nationality. Think about them as individuals - what do they enjoy, what are they interested in?

• Mike

Depending on what their personal interests are, they should be able to find something  to see. Their ethnicity isn't relevant. When I go to Paris, I don't worry about finding hotdog restaurants.

• Cammie

Get tickets way in advance for tickets to the theater or opera or ballet. What ever they love the most.A afternoon show would be a great idea.That would be either Wednesday afternoon or Sunday afternoon.

The hotel should be one that has a morning breakfast. It's easy.

Ask them about a kind of museum they would enjoy.Sign them up for a tour.

Pick one of many historical places they would enjoy.

One activity per day including a meal out will be a great idea.There is so much to do in NYC.

• Lili

Great museums don't require any knowledge of English.  Take them to the Met or the Frick.  Or to a museum of American art like the Whitney, so they can get a sense of American artistic culture.

Then, I'd suggest a Broadway musical.  The cousin won't understand it all, but musicals are better than plays for the linguistically-challenged.  Or perhaps a performance of the New York Philharmonic?  Or the ballet?

You'll want to do things like visit the Statue of Liberty or perhaps do a bus tour of the city.  You might be able to find a German-language tour. You can find services in almost language in New York. And then, try a couple of really good restaurants.  Make reservations well in advance.

Unfortunately, museums of German history and culture in the US (it's a rich subject) are located outside of the city, so I can't recommend one there.  But see below: