Why do I need to learn statistics for nursing?

I’m getting so frustrated. I can’t have my a** beat a second time for having my parents notified again about my F in statistics. None of the nurses I know remembers statistics so why do I need to know it?

I agree with the respondent to your question who recommends following the statistics of the ongoing very deadly and rapidly spreading worldwide COVID-19 pandemic. 

When I was in college years ago, I too waged a defiant battle with statistics, objecting especially to Psychology's use of the "Bell Curve" which lopped off the 5% extremes on either end (the most gifted, the most retarded) when getting what they termed "average."  My argument to my professors was that a TRUE AVERAGE would have to include the extremities...and I still believe it some 40 years later.  However, you should separately research on your own how statistics help organize data that is useful in health care or the field of medicine when dealing with large populations. In the COVID-19 statistics, there is an effort to understand commonalities among infected populations, for example---information that can help track the means of transmission or how the disease progresses in different age groups (children, for example, or elderly, etc.).  Think of statistics as "sorting the laundry" and it might be more meaningful for you.  

You will come across statistics in nursing. Listen to the news on the coronavirus its all about statistic's and probability`s the R number deaths per 100,000 etc.

The safety of medicine is statistically calculated and evaluated by making comparisons with other medicines  and the statistical probability of having unwanted complications or side effects. 

Statistics trains your brain. Nurses need math skills.

You have to keep up on health issues, which requires reading reports that include statistics. It's really not that hard. I suspect that you just have the mindset that you're "not good" at math, and so your brain turns off. And I know a nurse who will tell you that she uses statistics all the time. She's done a lot of reading on COVID, for example, and learned how to keep her children and her patients safe. 

• keerok

Basically, you'll need it when you do your thesis. Then, if you understand higher math, you will develop a more critical way of thinking which is crucial to the skill set of a nurse.

Look up the story of early nursing legend Florence Nightingale.

She used Statistics to do some medical detective work to figure out why patients were more likely to die, and used it to fix the issues causing the ward infections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrWcUOfA11A

Youtube thumbnail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhX0OR1_Vfc

Youtube thumbnail

Many degrees require statistics and other courses that aren't necessarily helpful for the job itself. Just do it for the grade and get through it. It'll be worth it when you get your degree. My advice is to see if your school has free tutoring. Most colleges do. Don't be afraid to ask for help. I hope this helps. 

Source(s): College Student.