Can Hermes Parcel Shop stop taking parcels? ?

Hello, (Question for UK Hermes Parcel Company)

I read this: "My nearest Drop Shop no longer takes parcels

If the shop you visited no longer takes parcels then we’d like to hear from you.

You can view alternative shops here.

To chat with an agent,"

What are my rights when the shop wont accept my parcel when they openly have signs saying they collect them.

I went to my local Hermes Delivery/collect shop and they wont accept my parcel they make up new excuses everytime. One person said we don't have to accept them.

Thanks in advanced. 

• John P

As long as Hermes obeys any laws related to the business, it can open or close shops as it pleases. If you are not happy with how Hermes wants to do business with you, you are at liberty to send parcels by any other carriers operating where you are.  "It's a free country."

Try Royal Mail/Parcelforce?

Note that this site, like most Q & A sites, has no connection with any commercial operation such as you are complaining about.

• Peter

You're using Hermes? Wow!

• funnel

Only if he goes to rehab several times. Most people can't just stop taking parcels. Starts off with just a couple on weekends just for kicks. Then before you know it......

May stop but they should be given notice first

• Maxi

So your local shop has suspended accepting parcels during covid, or they are no longer agents or they are having a dispute with Hermes and until that dispute is finalised they won't accept more......... your rights are to use another agent ( local shop)...in so far as "they make up new excuses everytime" it is very likey the people you speak to don't know the situation or have been told to say they don't know, or think their business is not your business.........

The shop may have stopped taking parcels due to covid 19.  It might have also decided that being an agent for Hermes is too much hassle and is stopping taking them.  If I were you, I would do as they say and check which other local shops are accepting parcels.  If none are, then contact Hermes.

• Mark

None.  If they held a package TO you, that would be "theft", but they don't have to ACCEPT packages from you; it's a private company.

Hermes don't have to take your parcel.  The shop (which is only an agent for Hermes) doesn't have to take your parcel.  Hermes will come and collect it.

What rights? We are in the middle of a public health crisis and perhaps this shop that acts as an agent for Hermes doesn't want to take your parcel that could be covered in covid-19 virus. 

Perhaps the service has been temporarily suspended?

Have you tried taking it to another Hermes pick up/drop off shop?