Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 2 months ago

If a tree falls and no one hears it does it make a sound?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Of course it makes a sound. That no- one hears it is -totally- irrrelevant!Crazy how this question keeps popping up.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

we seem to make a lot of assertions about whats out there in our universe but have never seen it, measured it, heard it etc

so the answer to your question is,  If a tree falls irrespective of whether someone is there or not,  of course it makes a sound.

• Tom
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

This is one of those things that depends upon our DEFINITION of Sound.  "A mere DISTURBANCE in the air" or this disturbance "Being SENSED by a living organism"----A true Scientist WILL define what he means in his statement---where others will ASSUME a definition and proceed to argue from there---Hence the debate. We know the tree will disturb the air and we know that organisms within range can sense the disturbance.  If we define sound by the Disturbance, then YES, the tree made a sound.  If we define Sound only the sensation of the disturbance by an organism or person, then NO, there was no sound.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Sorry, my answer is "Anonymous" as your post is Anonymous. There is no need for an Anonymous question in this category, Most 'Anonymous' posts are trolls, maybe yours is not, but the high likelihood is there. If you post as yourself, I would be glad to help you with any problem you have.

I spend a lot of time on each problem, I just want to make sure it's for a worthwhile cause.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • D g
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Someone didn't like my answer too bad it's true

There is another way to look at it if you see a lightning flash and a few minutes later here thunder what is the dipped of the sound determined by its by calculating the distance from the lightning flash to your position

If you were not there the sound of thunder would still have been there

That is a stupid philosophy question it is actually a form of the question used to prove god is needed 

• Amy
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

It still sends out sound waves but no one’s ears pick up the vibrations!

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If there is a thunderstorm on the other side of the planet, will there be a lot of thunder AND lightning?

• 2 months ago

i think it does

Lv 7
    2 months ago

It makes a sound that no one hears.

• Mog
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes. Sound waves are produced whether or not human ears are around to detect them. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.