Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 2 months ago

What do you think about the coronavirus ?

Open platform to talk about the virus! And it’s impact within the United States. Please practice civil discourse 

"The coronavirus" as a baby name? Hmm... nah.

"Open platform to talk about the virus! And it’s impact within the United States. Please practice civil discourse" - Not everyone lives in the United States. This is a WORLDWIDE site. People from all over the world are on this thing. This isn't America Online, buddy.

It certainly will be an event for the history books, but as my area has not been affected, my life is carrying on as usual. I do feel bad for those who have lost a loved one to it, that is very sad.

I think its a terrible tragedy and the world needs to make China pay.

I think it has absolutely nothing to do with Pregnancy & Parenting.

• Edna

I think the strain of corona virus that's currently making its rounds is nothing more that this year's strain of the virus.  As the outside air temperature all over the U.S. continues to warm up, this year's strain will almost have completely faded away by mid-June. That's what it's been doing every year for at least the last 80 years. 

A new and different strain of corona virus will emerge in the coming winter. It may (but probably won't) be as bad as this year's strain. It probably won't be as bad as the new flu virus that will emerge next winter.

• Edna

Terry: COVID-19 is not a NEW virus. It's just shorthand for Coronavirus Disease 2019. CO means Corona; VI means Virus; D means Disease; 19 means the year in which this particular strain emerged.  One strain or another of a corona virus has been making its rounds every year for at least 80 years. 

It has turned into a worldwide tragedy, certainly. With nearly a quarter million deaths worldwide, and around 100K here in the US, Memorial Day next weekend is certainly going to take on a whole new meaning this year.

• Edna

There won't be over 100,000 deaths from coronavirus in the U.S. by May Day.  May Day (May 1) has already come & gone.  Memorial Day is NOT May Day. As of May 18, there have been 90, 263 deaths in the U.S. that can be directly attributed to coronavirus, since the first case was diagnosed on Jan. 21.

its the longest lasting product china has ever produced

• edward

It’s serious and people should follow protocol. Even though stores are opening it doesn’t mean it’s all safe

• Edna

Then it's NEVER going to be 'safe' - whether stores open or not.  A virus is always out there. Every year, a new strain of coronavirus makes its rounds & it's been doing so for at least 80 years. Every year, some people are going to catch the virus; just as they've been doing for the last 80 years.

• Mark

For a baby name, I would not recommend it...  (That IS the section you posted this in.)

• Mandy

What do you mean?  It is, obviously, not a virus that I want to contract - albeit, what virus is?  But, this one is quick to become quite serious for some people, so I would not want to have to deal with that.  I am still going to work and to the grocery store and other shopping that I might need to do as necessary.  Of course, I wear a mask and follow other precautions.