Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar Audio · 2 months ago

How do you upgrade car speakers?

I have a 2018 Ford Focus, I would love to get new better quality speakers, however I have zero idea where to start. Do I find my own speakers online and bring them into a shop? How do I know which speakers will sound best? About how much does everything end up costing money wise? 

I prefer speakers that will provide the best quality bass sound but I also don’t want the bass to overpower everything else so much that any other sound sounds like crap. 

If I do have to change them out myself, how the hell do I do that without breaking my car? 

• 2 days ago

First of all, I would like to change the amplifier, (or installing a new one), putting a subwoofer or changing head unit may challenge you. If you do not have previous experience and decide to do those changes, please consider to going a car audio shop and get proper service for yourself. Changing speakers are much easier and you may do it by yourself.

I have experienced the 2017 Ford Focus sound system with a nice stock head unit. Most probably you will be fine with it and increasing the quality of speakers may be enough for you.

The most expensive speaker brands just as Focal, Hertz, JL Audio, etc, are producing premium products. However, when it comes to low-frequency sub-bass sounds, they leave that job to be handled by the subwoofers. Those speakers can barely hit 50-60 Hz and this is not a good value to feel a complete bass performance.

In this manner, if you do not want to get a subwoofer, then you may be interested in getting speakers with the ability to hit as low as 30-35 Hz. Some products of Pioneer with 4-5 ways even can hit as low as 25 Hz which is magnificent. Kenwood, Kicker, Polk, and some limited JBL speakers will be able to cover a good portion of sub-bass sounds so that you may not need a subwoofer.

I think this should cost you around 40-80$ per pair and you may feel the difference.

If you are thinking something more premium, please visit an audio shop in order to get a professional installation service.

If you would like to learn more about what to look for while purchasing car speakers in detail, you may check the buying guide (provided in the source) that is full with pure knowledge and surely helps you with this purchasing process.

Find out what will fit,

either from a local car stereo dealer or from the mail-order outfit Crutchfield,

which has audio-related data on almost all vehicles made in the last 50 years or so.

You take it to a car stereo place and tell them what you want and they will do it all. They have done it before, know what works and can do it far cheaper than you buying parts and having them stick them in.

• Most aftermarket speakers are much better than a stock speaker. Unless you're driving a $80,000+ vehicle.

To replace old stocks for aftermarkets, you'd have to know how to do it. You'd have to know how to remove door panels, old stock speakers, and old wirings. If you don't, you'd have to head into a car audio shop and that's gonna cost you money for new aftermarket replacements.

Buying cheap car audio equipment won't impress you. I don't know what type of money you have. But if you have a good amount of money, you can blow into car audio. Here are some great aftermarket speakers.

Rockford Fosgate

Soundqubed

CT Sounds

JL Audio

B2 Audio

maybe you can ask a mechanic to do it for you

Go to a car audio shop.  They can install a system from a simple upgrade to an audiophile dream system.  It will all depend on how much money you are willing to spend.