Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentTechnology · 2 months ago

Do you need to be good at science to have a job related to technology?

Im pretty good at math and really good at technology like programing but I really really really suck at science. I never understand science I mean grade 9 science is still very hard for me.

For science, I am good at anything math related it throws at me, formulas etc. They easy. But the actual like science part... Like..its hard to explain but its basically what seperates math from science..which is the science part. Sounds confusing but thats the best way I can describe it.

Its not a huge deal but you still have science classes in high school and college that are mandatory.

No, if you were to go into software most people for example would consider that technology but your chemistry and biology marks wouldn't be very important.

• fcas80

No.  Many jobs in the computer field do not require skill in science.  And if you are good with math and computers, look into becoming an actuary, and look into becoming a data scientist.

• A.J.

The two are highly related where sciences rely very heavily on math. You may have issue visualizing into reality or experimental design and its logic. There are technology careers that are theoretical and mathematical, such as software related. You need to get specific about what the difficulty is. Here is a reference book, Handbook of Chemistry and Physics:

http://www.hbcponline.com/faces/contents/ContentsS...

It is mostly a book of numbers and formulas. Here is an index of branches of science.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_of_branches_of...

Science is mostly the physical manifestations of mathematics or, mathematics is used to represent the physical characteristics of science.

If I mention water flow in a pipe, the flow is mathematical, but do you see a pipe and the water turbulence in your mind, or is it all a set of numbers? 

• Lili

You should have a bent for quantitative subjects like math, but if you have that, you should also be able to handle science well.  NOT being able to handle science well suggests that as technological subjects become more sophisticated and complex, you will have trouble with them, too.

I don't know what kind of programming you're doing, but at the upper levels, it can get very complicated.

9th-grade science isn't that advanced. I think you need to figure out what's going on there.

There are plenty of fields for math majors: Computer programming, stats analysis, big data management, just to name a few. The tech industry has plenty of room for people like you!