Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 2 months ago

If professors hate teaching so much and would rather just do research than why do universities make them teach?

• Lili

Most of us don't hate teaching. Where did you get the idea we did?

The purpose of a university comprises both education and research, so that's what most professors do -- teach and conduct research. We go into the profession knowing what's expected of us.  If we complain about teaching, it's usually because our jobs also depend on research, writing and publication, and it's not easy to teach AND do the research and writing required of us.

But most of my colleagues and I enjoy teaching.  I get a lot out of it myself.  Right now, I'm teaching online, and it's not as enjoyable and rewarding as classroom teaching, but I'd be upset and disappointed if I couldn't teach at all.

That's a complicated question. Most professors do not "hate" teaching. But at many universities, there's tremendous pressure on them to research and publish- that's how universities make their reputation. A 4-year-college is more likely to put the emphasis on teaching for faculty. Some universities now have two tiers of faculty- those who do research and those who do mostly teaching and get tenured for that. 

That's an extremely broad assumption. Perhaps if you learned a little more you would understand that not all professors do research. There are 5300 colleges and universities in the US. Only 131 are are listed as the highest level of research schools and 135 as second tier research school (less focus on research but still high research activity.

• Lili

Actually even at purely undergraduate liberal arts colleges, the professors are required and expected to carry out research and writing, to publish books and articles.  This is standard at all 4-year schools.  Virtually all professors at them do research, no matter where they teach.

• fcas80

Because students are paying tuition to be taught.

• Scott

Some professors at elite universities teach undergraduate courses very rarely and it’s mostly graduate seminars they facilitate.   But it’s all about the money.  A tenured professor  with millions of dollars of research grants is often given a lighter teaching load.

• Lili

Most professors do not receive millions of dollars worth of grants, because in most fields, such grants are not available.  And you will find that at schools like Harvard and Yale, the professors regularly teach undergraduates. they are expected to do so.  I attended Yale myself.

That’s their job ....

No one makes them teach. They close to become teachers 

They can go into the private sector if they just want to do research 

• Mandy

Then.  Not, “than”.