Can I still use my FAFSA money to cover other expenses if I have received a full-ride scholarship from my college?

Or is FAFSA money only for tuition or room and board costs?

By other expenses, I mean using the money to purchase my books or a computer from my school's computer store.

Please and thank you.

• MS

You don't get money from FAFSA.  FAFSA is an application (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). 

The school uses that application to determine what financial package they will offer you.  That package might include loans, grants, scholarships, work study, etc.  You cannot receive federal aid that exceeds the cost of attendance, and institutions will not provide you with money beyond what you need either.  However, any private scholarships that you receive on top of a "full ride" from the university could still be received and used toward other school-related expenses.  So if you've received a full-ride scholarship from your university, you shouldn't be eligible for any federal aid.  Again, you might be able to apply for and receive additional private scholarships though.

• nancy

Yes, you can use FAFSA funds for any educational expenses, including books, transportation, equipment, etc. However, your federal student aid (FAFSA) may be limited because the school can't award aid that exceeds your Cost of Attendance. If you receive a scholarship that covers your tuition, fees, room and board, what remains of your COA may be less that the full amount of your aid, so the school would have to reduce it, starting with your loans.

• ?

There is no such thing as FAFSA money.  FAFSA is just a financial evaluation that provides the college financial aid office with your financial status.  The university uses FAFSA as a means to decide what aid to offer you.  There are many different forms of aids that can result...grants, scholarships, work study programs, institutional grants and scholarships, private grants and scholarships, etcetera.  Some of those go directly to the school and can only be used for tuition, others go into your checking account and you can spend the money on whatever you want.

i think you can as long as you paid for everything else