Is this homemade boat seaworthy?

Me and my buddy are going to build a small fishing boat for use on a nearby lake. The hull will be made of fir 2x4s and 2x2s, and the outside will be covered with plywood. On top of that will be 3 coats of anti fouling. We’re planning to use a 0.5 hp electric motor on the back as well. It should be able to hold 2 men plus all the equipment we need. These are scale drawings from the top and side views. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or comments before we make this.

Attachment image

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Better have life jackets and a waterproof envelope for your cellphone since a boat that narrow for fishing is going to go upside down and dump everything into the water.  Also, depends on local area laws.  No registration on a home-built might not be allowed.

You have only 1 x 3 x 7 or 21 cubic feet to displace water that weighs 7.5 x 8.34 or 62.4 lbs/ft^3.  That gets you 1290 lbs displacement, plenty for two people.

Source(s): I had a fish tank that had half that weight when full, but I would not take it to a lake and ride in it--way too narrow.
    • ...Show all comments
    • fuzzy
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

iF you REALLY want to use it bolt an 10' long bit of 4x2 across it in the middle & duct tape a couple of inflated car inner tubes to the end as outriggers

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

You can find free boat plans you could do much better with. A trolling motor will not power that boat well. 

• fuzzy
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Horrible design, way too narrow, would be ok with 1 person sitting on the bottom & being careful.

Look around plenty of deigns out there, some free that are better. Look for hull sides spreading outwards at the top, gives increased buoyancy when heeled. 7' is too short for 2 people, no room to move.

2 x 4 s way heavier than needed. Look at designs available & what they've used (old plans were often drawn up by people like you with little knowledge of how boats actually work.) 

Free plans are often worth less than you'paid for them.

• 2 months ago

I forsee a couple of problems.  It's extremely narrow and the free board is only 2 feet and that's without anyone it in.   Unless you're going to leave it in the water anti fouling isn't necessary.  Caulk all the joints with 5200 then use a good enamel paint.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I foresee Titanic-II

• 2 months ago

For where you intend to go and what you intend to do, it should be great.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.