Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 2 months ago

Does being bad at maths make me stupid?

I'm good at english, art, individual's and societies etc. But I'm not good at maths. I've got dyscalculia a learning disability. I'm also dyslexic but have managed to push through it. I wish I could say the same for math since that's the only subject people act like is important. I try but my teacher is impatient with me so it's really discouraging. I dont know what to do. I'm interested in media and that's what I'd like to go into in the future. Maths just isnt for me. Still does that make me unintelligent.

Hi, I really appreciate all the lovely comments. Ofcourse I'll still try my best in the subject but its reassuring hearing what you are saying. It's really uplifting. Thankyou for taking your time to help me.

It makes you stupid at math. But there are different kinds of intelligences, and you say you are intelligent at english, art and such, so I would assume that it balances things out. Most people are good at some things and not as good at other things, so you shouldn’t worry too much. I can ace math and physics exams without studying but when I write an essay there are a bunch of mistakes in each sentence and I can easily forget a word which I am supposed to know. I am stupid language, which is probably a much more important skill to have unless you are an engineer.

• Orla

I hope not !!!   I am the worst person on the planet in math !!!   I try watching utube tutorials on math for dummies and stuff, and my brain just turns into white bread.

No but look into tutoring if you haven't already, and take your time when doing such work. Commit time to learning the order of operations -- especially if seeing more than 1 sign (addition, subtraction, division, multiplication) within the problem. Stay alert and hydrated.

Source(s): I too have a disability which makes learning Math difficult.

People can have both a gifted IQ plus a learning disability. It's called twice exceptional. So no.

no it doesn't. If you aren't learning, it is your teacher's fault.

You sound great, like a really smart intelligent creative person. The teacher who gets impatient with you on the other hand, should be shot

No, I was never good at Maths or spelling but I retired as an explosives ordnance engineer with a diploma in Ordnance Engineering spending time at a college was difficult retired at 55 and still have a Problem with maths

remember not everyone is an Einstien But many are Like the Plagerist Theif and a Non-inventer edison

people still believe he invented the Light Bulb everyone with a Brain Knows it was Joseph swan I still have the Scientific calucaulator and the common Maths calculator

and still dont Understand arithmetic equations but i do know how to check my pension since retiring at 55

No, it doesn't make you stupid. I have poor math skills too, and I also have mild Autism. It doesn't mean I'm stupid either- just that math isn't my strong suit. You might do very well in media, because it doesn't involve a lot of calculation.  Not everyone is cut out or suited for a career in the STEM fields. People in education have lost sight of this, though.

If your teacher is giving you a hard time, you need to report him or her to the principal of your school. You shouldn't be penalized for not having a lot of ability in math, because NO subject is for everybody.

You're in the UK, I gather, from the use of "maths". It's interesting because I thought the "good at math" or "not good at math" was a mostly American characteristic. That is, we believe it's something you're born with. In other cultures, it's viewed as a skill that you develop through practice. Researchers gave an unsolvable math problem to US students and Japanese students. The US students gave up within a few minutes of not being able to solve it. The Japanese students kept working at it for an hour- until the researchers stopped them. Even if you have a true learning disability, if you have a trained teacher working with you, there are strategies that can improve your math skills a great deal. 

• Metalplanttag

That is a good point, the problem may be also in the way you are being taught math and a different method may produce better results.

I failed algebra9 three times, i'm not stupid. But yes there will always be other people willing to throw it at you. So don't play catcher :)