Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsHome Theater · 2 months ago

Are Blu-ray Discs still successful?

I read so many articles that more people are streaming and fewer people are buying physical media such as Blu-ray Discs. Even many Best Buy stores are shrinking their DVD/Blu-ray stock. But people on the blu-ray.com forum tell me that I'm wrong that Blu-ray is still going strong.

So who is right? Is Blu-ray still successful?

It's still successful. Many stream online, but what if that link / site disappears ?

• Sumi

Yes, because it's still a really good option for long-term storage of backups.  A common Blu-Ray has 25GB of storage capacity, and dual or double-sided disk has 50GB of storage.  That's not terrible at all, especially considering that a DVD has only 4GB of storage capacity.

Blu-Ray disks are a good long-term storage solution as are external hard drives.  Unlike flash drives or thumb drives or SD memory cards which are not designed for long-term storage.

But, yeah, they're not as popular now that streaming has become so accessible.

blu rays kinda suck dvd was better and more cost 

efficient  

They are to me, because I prefer to have a hard copy of something I like in the event the internet goes down and I can't stream....

Yes, but studios need put more movies and TV shows especially Disney few tv shows abc ones have no blu ray disc releases DVD needs to be discontinued and everything needs to be released on Blu ray.

• Lance

Its barely hanging on...It makes up less that 3% of the media market sales..However that being said I think there is still a place for physical media... most of the on line sales and rentals are with the most popular 100 top movies..If you want an older title that wasn't that popular at the time of release your probably not going to find it unless it becomes a cult favorite somehow...So my advise is get the movies you really like on disk so that 10 years down the line you can still watch them and/or show them to friends relatives and kids that might not have seem them....I also buy DVD's occasionally so that I can watch/show them while camping....

• Lv 7

Blu ray outsells DVD since 2008

Not really anything to do with Home Theater Consumer Electronics.

Yes, as they are still sold.

As long as they are being made,

they can be considered successful.

They still sell, but the market is shrinking rapidly. 

The increasing availability of superfast broadband which allows you to stream content wherever you are without carrying a stack of easily-damaged discs everywhere and the bulk and weight of an easily-damaged player is killing all forms of optical disc media. 

Even USB pen drives are dying: superfast broadband and unlimited cloud storage is increasingly rendering them unnecessary.

• Edwena

Every thing is going to streaming and someday someone will put a lock on everything that is transmitted. A virus in another form will hit the world. Like, only Chinese will transmit. So save your blu-ray and your floppies. They will come in handy.