kenz asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

Is it safe to spread grass seed in your horses paddock while he’s living in it?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

If you get the UNTREATED kind, it should be safe.

Completely useless, but safe. 

Grass has to establish for at least a year before you let horses on it.  Their hooves kill any leftover yummy seedlings after the horse bites them off.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Where I live, we are facing this dilemma too. We need to reseed at least one of our pastures, and no, we will not be putting the horses on it when we do this. Why? Because they will eat the seed, which defeats the purpose of re-seeding.  You need to find a way to fence off the re-seeded area, at least long enough for the grass to become established, or put your horses in a different pasture until the grass is tall enough and strong enough to tolerate their grazing it.

And Joe... Reseeding pastures in the spring and fall is a common practice in a lot of areas. It's really not much different than fertilizing them, which is something that must be done regularly if you want to have good grass.

• ...Show all comments
    • Starlight 1
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Seeding in the fall is also appropriate, depending on where one lives. But it's still not a good idea to allow horses to graze on a pasture that has been reseeded, because they will eat the seed.

• Joe
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Seed alone (no chemicals) won't hurt your horse (unless he gets into a bag of seed).

But re-seeding a paddock in-use doesn't work.  You should consider a temporary fence to split your paddock, and rebuild the turf in one part at a time.

I don't know where you live.  In much of the U.S., it's the wrong time to start grass from seed, anyway.  This would be a good time to contact your county agricultural extension agent, and get some information that's targeted to your climate and soil.

• 2 months ago

I have no idea, but common sense suggests that if the paddock needs re-seeding, you should move your horse out of there to give the seed a chance to germinate, and the whole paddock a chance to recover.  I can't imagine the seed would flourish if the horse is urinating on it, for starters.

Can you do this reseeding in sections, fencing off as you go?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • patty
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

don't see why not

• Mark
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you don't put artificial fertiliser in it.  After all, the grass won;t grow inside your horse's stomach even if it DOES eat it...

• kenz2 months agoReport

Is it okay if it’s coated grass seas? Has a green coat on it 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.