Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBoats & Boating · 5 months ago

Is it safe to live, and travel on a 30ft - 35ft sailboat?

I plan on living at a marina, and I may travel too, so I just would like to know what you think.

I am also wondering how long sailboats last. If you know then please let me know.

Thank You

35' is going to quickly become like trying to live in a porta potty building site toilet and most probably smell like one too.

Can you sail and maintain a boat?

You will need to budget for at least 60'000 a year expenses other wish your dream will quickly vanish.

Basically to live in some form of comfort you need a 45' plus boat.

So you will have to come up with a substantial sum of about 100,000 plus

and remember you need to keep up it's appearance with constant maintenance otherwise any mariner will quickly deny you the use of their facilities.

No marina what a scruffy boat nor person living aboard to drag them down and lose customers.

Plus most marinas do not allow long term liveaboards.

Living or just sailing for pleasure is not a cheap way of life.

You can not just jump aboard a boat and sail any where with out having the certificate s of competence and a good insurance cover as no port of entry will accept you.

That means you will need to take courses to be able to sail or helm your chosen craft.

And pay a substantial sum for insurance cover.

both will make you dig deep in to your pocket.

And as for safety well their are drug runners and pirates out there looking for lone sailor's to murder and steal their boats.

• fuzzy

Cheaper to rent a flat. A boat continuously in the water has to be pulled out once a year, bottom cleaned & antifoul paint replaced, typically $4000. Marina fees, depending on where you are & whether your boat is in a pen or moored out & where the marina is & what facilities it has will be $5000 to $200,000 a year.

Add in the pleasure of having to go ashore & walk maybe 200 yards to go to the toilet in the rain (you are NOT going to use a toilet on board or pee over the side in a crowded marina)

It is quite possible to do it but you have to be a special type of person to like it. That is someone who has sailed for many years & actually knows what they're doing, clearly because you've posted here you dont (yet).

Live on shore, join a local yacht club, learn to sail, sail as often as you can for at least a decade, learn all about boats, weather, maintenance, navigation etc. then decide if you want to live aboard

• james

No.  First you need get a operators permit. Like a drivers license. Know what  markers & other mean. Safety rules & such. If travelling out of Country a international license.  Next if blue water sailing you need a instructor for that. A double mast boat. A few years experience.  That would be the size of my outrigger. Single mast. Good for island hopping. & my fishing trips. But in the big lonely I have gone out 60 miles in good weather. But I am not a blue water sailor. That takes skills you need learn first.  As living on one? They are nice to shore run up to the big city. Spend a night or two on. Shop, eat in town at fancy place you don't have at home like McDonalds & such. Then sail home with all those things they don't sale were you live. & some things the neighbors want. Last. A outrigger should last about 20 years if wood or fiberglass if kept up. Those are native made boats. Not big brand name. But unless you know what you are doing out there. If a storm or such moves in. Do as I do. Make a fast shore run. 

Never totally safe.  In the '70s I used to crew on a friend's 6 meter formula class (29 foot) wooden sloop built in the '40s.  I wore a life jacket.  Owner Louis, a former yacht club president and very experienced, scared us all one day off Point Loma.  Sunny, not very windy, nice trip.  All of a sudden he shouted "Grab something!" I looked into the water and two huge dark shapes, bigger than the sailboat, were coming from the side.  A pair of gray whales slid right past us, feet away.  They did not see or hear us until just the last seconds.  They were moving at more than 5 knots and would have shattered our little teacup.  Never totally safe.

Another thing to think about is the expenses.  The word "boat" means "Break Out Another Thousand".

• Anton

When I was younger, I considered getting a sailboat and cruise for a decade or two.  I looked around decided that the best, for me, would be a Pacific Seacraft Dana 24.  Capable of trans ocean  trips, heavy and tough enough to survive any weather, small enough to easily solo cruising.   Totally safe to live and travel in just 24 feet long.  A *good* 30' to 35' boat would also be totally safe.

Cons: You can not have too much stuff.  Mildew -- on the water you rarely get totally dry.

Which is why I didn't.  I prefer dry.  Less than 5" of rain a year.  The Southwest deserts.

You need to learn a TON before embarking on this adventure...  

Pick up a couple dozen books on maritime law, sailing basics, boat maintenance, open water survival, etc.  Buy a small trailerable boat and start learning.  After a couple hundred hours in a small dinghy, look for a day sailer/small race boat.  Buy a spot at a slip, start staying on it.

After a few more years of playing around and learning the basics, you will either be ready to take the next step and buy a liveaboard boat...  Or, realize that it costs quite a bit of money and a ton of effort just to keep a boat in the water, let alone prepare it for blue water sailing.

Boats are not a comfortable living arrangement. Good for a short vacation but lousy for sleeping and showering and storing food, cooking, and the maintenance and insurance costs alone can be prohibitive. Monthly slip fees (where you park the boat) can be sky high as well. Some sell for more than $1 million.

• Bort

Any boat requires daily, weekly, monthly, and anual maintenance. Depending on the size of the boat or ship it might be a heck of a lot of work, possibly too much for one person. Consider the size of the ocean and the force of the water in the ocean compared to the size of the boat you're considering living on. Ships hundreds of feet larger than that sink due to the power of the ocen. Even when they're docked. There is always that risk.