Jenny asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

Best dewormer?

Hello! I have a 4 month pup that has never gotten her dewormer. I know it sounds bad but we got her without any vaccinations and dewormer and when we were planning on going to the vet coronavirus got bad and now we’re on quarantine. Of course when this quiets down I will rush to the vet and get everything done but I just want to know if any of you know a dewormer I can order off Chewy or some pet website to give her now. Thank you! 

• Ocimom

Do not use over the counter wormers - they are too toxic or worthless.  You can make a appointment to have shots and worming done by the vet - sooner the better.  You pup is at high risk for parvo withhout vaccinations.

• lkl

Currently the biggest issue for puppy is the Parvo shot, the baby can't go for walks without it. We're all in this together. Your puppy should be safe for now and you can order heart worm medication, if you have money you can call a Vet to your home but Parvo shot has to be first. Keep puppy inside or only in your yard or patio till this is all over. Take Care 

There is no such thing as an all-purpose dewormer that gets everything.

You need to take a poop sample to the vet and find out WHAT worms the pup has (if any) and then get the appropriate medication.

Diagnose.   Then treat.  

Your doctor doesn't prescribe you a bunch of medicine "in case" you have something, right?  No.  Do the poop test and then treat accordingly.

• J M

Call the vet and have them recommend a dewormer. Then order it online.

You NEVER pet chemicals in a dog's body for no reason.  You don't even know what, if any, worms this dog has.  Therefore, you don't know what wormer the dog needs.  The ONLY wormer you ever give a dog is the one prescribed by the vet after the dog's had a fecal sample tested for worms!  Pet people really need to educate themselves  BEFORE getting some helpless animal!

It is a shame you would take or buy a puppy from such a unethical greeder, who could not be BOTHERED to protect EITHER you or the puppy - by doing basic worming & a starting on vaccinations.

There is no worthwhile OVER the COUNTER wormer.  NONE kill tapeworms => zero, zip NADA and your puppy must have vaccines or it could DIE, if it catches Parvo.  (80% of unvaccinated puppies, if infected, WILL DIE).  Just because vets are usually only taking emergencies DOES NOT mean if you have a new dog or puppy it cannot be DROPPED off (with a prior made appt for services). CALL AROUND!  Or see if you have a mobile vet who can come do some of the work in your yard.  (I've got mobile vets ADVERTISING services during Covid).  FYI: It is NOT LEGAL (anywhere in the WORLD) for any 4 mo old NOT to have had a rabies vaccine - it is REQUIRED BY LAW.

Call around. Many vets are actually still open to perform basic care, and a lot of 24/7 E.R. vets are open, too. My vet is still open and so are the E.R. vets in my area. Being in quarantine doesn't mean that EVERY SINGLE thing is closed and that you can neglect the basic care for your animal.