Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelIrelandOther - Ireland · 4 months ago

Do people think that most Irish people can speak Irish?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Yes they speak garlic.

• Magma
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

No. Most foreigners don't even realise we have our own language until they see it on road signs. We are thought Irish in school, but I wouldn't be able to speak it fluently. There are parts of the country known as the gaeltacht where people speak fluent Irish. They are areas along the west coast of the country and parts of the south. Donegal, Mayo, Galway, Kerry and parts of Cork are gaeltacht areas.

Source(s): I live in Ireland
  • 3 months ago

No idea ever thought about it.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

No the English/British beat starved raped  it out of them during the Protestant reformation 1532 and during the Penal Laws 1691-1829 and the Irish famine.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

No but most have a basic knowledge of it or an intermediate knowledge of it

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Only if that person happens to be an eejit. Most Irish have at least some Irish as it's a required subject in school. Aside from that, depending on where a person happens to live in Ireland and what that person's background happens to be, those will be the determining factors in how conversant or fluent he or she is in Irish. These days, many young people are compelled to study on their own - probably because the sad reality is that fewer and fewer people are keeping it alive on a day to day basis, but only time will tell how successful those efforts will be. 

• Orla C
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Most people seem to think that 'Irish' is just English spoken in Ireland, i.e. Hiberno-English is Irish.

Not true. The Irish language is a completely different language.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

some people might think that way

• 4 months ago

No because most are not in Ireland any more.  

• 4 months ago

No, it's old and not used, the Scottish and Welsh often don't use their old language, the Welsh do a bit more but they all know English.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.