Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsRunning · 4 months ago

I'm noticing that I am getting runner's diarrhea while I am training. Any others experience this and what do you do to prevent it?

This issue comes up from time to time for me and it can be embarrassing. For anyone that has bowel/ibs issues, what do you do to prevent it?

I always go to the bathroom before runs to be sure, but that doesn't always prevent it from happening.

Some foods may aggravate this. For me, it turned out my sports drink made it worse. 

Are you able to do workouts in the early morning? If so, try this: Adjust the amount of fiber in your diet, so you would consistently need to defecate every 24 hours if you were not running. In the 13 hours before a workout, take only water. Defecate when you wake up, and then start your workout. 

It may help to do jumping jacks, run in place, or run around the block a few times before you go. Also, during your run, limit the amount of water you take in. You might try drinking slightly less than your thirst indicates.