Do you think the world be a better place if we didn’t farm animals?

I’m not saying stop farming altogether just stop farming animals. We’d still survive, we’d all still probably be healthy enough. Not sure about healthy breakfasts though. 

I don't think so. If you're a vegan animal-rights activist, you probably do think so, and that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion, and I can have mine. 

• As Mad As Birds

Raising animals with no regard for their sentience is factory farming.

• We all have a purpose in this life. Some never get to fulfill that purpose or waste their chance. Could you say the world would be a better place if we did not have deadly viruses that harvest some Humans before their time? You might, but in reality it really was their time to die. All is the circle of life and as long as the animals are treated well until their time comes I do not have a problem with raising animals for food any more than using any of the earths resources responsibly to survive. When we waste resources just to add zero's to a financial statement then I have a problem.

• L

It has been proven...........vegetarians need MORE than just veggies to be healthy.

No I think if we did not farm animals we go out and hunt wild animals. Why would that be a better place to live in ?

You mean, go vegan? Dumb move. You get far more nutrition per unit weight from animal products than you do from plants. Or do you mean, revert to a hunter-gatherer phase or what came immediately after that? Inefficient and likely to lead to mass extinction. BTW, did you know that it was beer that got humans out of the hunter-gatherer phase and led to civilization? Hail, Ninkasi! (No; you're going to have to google her.)

• A.J.

We can speculate many things, and any of them could have negative unforeseen consequences.

Do you think there would be a lot more accidental shootings if we stop farming animals?  - I could make a good case for this.

Do you think all of the ocean creatures would be fished to extinction? - I could make a good case for this.

Do you think vitamin B12 deficiencies would skyrocket? - I think it would.

Do you think we could possibly stop the practice of farming animals? - Absolutely not.

Lots of things could make the world a better place. This one is low on my list, but yes, other methods are more efficient.

• zeno

We need some animals for health reasons.

As they provide our bodies south nutrients

We need to survive. Eggs, chicken, Turkey,

Beef, and a few others. We don't need bats

Or dogs or cats like the Chinese farm. Ok?

It takes 10 pounds of grain to make one pound of beef.  Chickens and pigs are more efficient, 3/1.  As food grows short on earth (which it certainly will, but isn't yet) we would do better to eat the grain. 

HOWEVER there are places on earth where the native vegetation is not edible by humans.  Like deserts where the plants are small and woody and there's nothing to eat on them. Like the American Southwest and the Kalahari Desert in Africa.  In those places, cattle make sense because they can eat the native plants and change them into human-edible food (milk and beef).

As for breakfast, I don't think there's any better breakfast than oatmeal! It tastes good, it fills you up and keeps you going.

I'd like to see an end to factory farms. As for the rest, I guess it would depend on the alternative proposed.

• random_man

How do you define what a "factory farm" is?