Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 5 months ago

How many calories should a full time ballet student have per day?

If you're dancing 30 hours a week, that's A LOT of exercise so surely you'd need more calories than usual. So, how many?

To get an accurate answer I'd recommend asking a dietitian. Frankly, it matters more what you each as opposed to how much. Healthier, more organic options can give you much more energy for the same amount of calories that a meal of junk food could.

I train 17-24 hours a week and I eat roughly 1500-2000 calories a day. I'm quite petite though, so what works for me could be very different from what works for you. Again, asking a dietitian is the best way to go if you're serious about knowing what you should be doing for your body.

• Evi

Enough to make sure you don't keel over from lack of nutrition, but not so many that you're sluggish. 

Source(s): Never counted a calorie in my life nor do I intend to start

3500-4500 to stay strong

keep filling up

What @drip says. It's not the calories so much as the quality of the food. Don't skip fats, don't use sugar for a quick lift.

Don't ever count the calories.  What I do I check on my belly once in a while.  If I am beginning to get a tummy it is time to cut down on my food.

• GA41

A woman normally burns about 2000 calories a day, a man 2500 calories.  Pedaling a stationary bicycle hard for 30 minutes burns about 400 calories.  I suspect you be talking about an additional 500-1000 calories a day for the days you are dancing.  Your weight will be a good indicated whether you are balancing your calorific intake. 

• drip

Don’t worry about calories or diets.  Just eat healthy.  Cut out pop, fast foods, junk foods. Stick to fresh fruits and veggies, little red meat. . Eating little mini meals throughout the day is better the three big meals. Drinks lots of water

Everyone’s metabolism is different. Even among professional ballet dancers. Some can eat whatever they want and burn everything up quickly. Others have to watch what they eat. Obviously one can’t starve oneself as you need carbs to burn so you have energy to dance. The amount varies with the individual. Keep in mind that long lean muscle burns energy faster than those without it. Even when you are asleep.  So as you can see, one size does not fit all when it’s comes to dance and food intake