is it ok to eat meat by use date?

I didn't cook it yet so its still raw and worried about cooking it is it out of date cause it says on it to use by 10th aprill should I throw it away cause I wont eat out of date so behonest with me I need real answer.

The Use by date is for the optimal time(best time) after that date the product loses some of its flavor or moistness or fizz or whatever the "thing is for it"  It is not super fresh.  Salt & Sugar & Vinegar have a best before date meaning what exactly(as none of these products expire) even 10 years later it is still salt, sugar, vinegar..  There is a difference between ready ground black pepper that is OLD and Freshly ground pepper. One is black fly poop and the other makes you sneeze. But that is YEARS in the shaker.  Freshly opened beer is better than one that has been standing open for a day.

Unless it is spoiled it is fine to cook. If the color and smell are good then the meat is good.

We're just an hour into April 11th. Wake up, rattle those pots and pans and cook the meat. Now.

Those dates usually indicate BEST if used before a specific date. Missing that date only means it might be somewhat less than perfect. At this point that's a long way from rotten or dangerous. Yes it's safe to eat.

I just cooked a roast which had April 6th on it. It smelled fine and nothing wrong with it at all.

the date on the packaging is usually the "sell by" date anyway.

And if you've ever been in the kitchen of a fine steak house, you'd see that the meat actually has green mold on it a lot of the time before it's cooked. That's called aging the meat.

• .

USE BY, just what does that mean to a logical thinking mind C? Ok! Use by the 10th and the 10th is now upon us but, I'm ok because, I don't have a joint of meat in the fridge with a use by date of the 10th. 

.

C r i s t a l, Its clear to me that this is causing you anxiety (damn use by dates can do this) so, I'll cut the funnies and get to the point if you already haven't cooked it. If the meat was 2/3 days over the use by, as long as its been in your fridge,.... COOK IT AND ENJOY IT, ITS GONNA BE FINE.

• IvaB

If you cook it today,you will have used it by the date suggested......no worries.Calm down,be happy 😃

If it smells fine it is fine. Best by and use by dates are just guidelines

For meats, you can use them on the 'best by' date, and even a couple of days past, if they have been kept refrigerated properly, so no worries. The one thing that is bothering me is this~ are you throwing away perfectly good food based on the 'best by' date? I certainly hope not. That is an unimaginable waste of food, and so wrong. Those dates should never even be on food as people don't understand what they are for. They are only on the food packet to prevent clap-back to the manufacturer if someone says the food doesn't taste fresh. If you have meats then freeze them to preserve their life and keep your dairy properly refrigerated. Unopened canned, packaged or shelf-stable foods will last indefinitely so keep that in mind and stop wasting perfectly good food.

As long as it has been stored properly it is fine. 

Generally dates are Best by or on meats a Freeze by date. You will see that on a lot of cured product like sausage, ham as well as others. 

And I would say if your refrigerator is real cold it will be fine for several days past the 10th. If you do not plan on using it today though freeze it and mark it so you use it before you would use another piece of meat.