Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 2 months ago

Can a vegan get kidney stones if they eat spinach and nuts on a regular/daily basis?

Can eating any foods in combination with these prevent kidney stones from forming?

• 🦋

its only if you drinks lots of sugary sodas and sweeet foods too much

Apparently those foods can actually promote kidney stones due to the presence of oxalate, which contributes. Not sure if there is any food, or food combination to prevent that, but here is a link that might help you out some:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/5-steps-for-pr...

....possible - because you lack of Vitamin K2

• Daisy

Maybe. There is no medical consensus about what causes stones. But it only seems logical that eating a lot of high oxalate foods could lead to a build up of calcium.

I have had kidney stones since I was 19 and I am now 75.  I have had

Doctors tell me many things not to eat. Some would say they are ok

and some would say not ok. I finally just do what I want.I am passing

a big stone now. Been bleeding for 2 days. It  is on the way out. 

I know the spinach can be a problem--it is high in calcium oxalates that can cause stones---was told to rotate leafy greens in the juicer cuz spinach all the time could cause stones!

• patty

limit high oxilate foods.

There's not a definitive yes or no answer to your question. This has a number of factors that's involved, as to whether or not vegans, vegetarians, or even anyone else that isn't, can develop kidney stones. Eating combination of foods that are high in oxalates doesn't always play a factor in eating vegetables that are high in oxalates. It depends on whether or not they're sensitive to the oxalates or not, and whether the foods high in oxalates are eaten raw or not. Cooked the vegetables that's high in oxalates, most of the oxalates are broken down.

Also it depends on whether or not they've had kidney stones in  the past. Having a past history of kidney stones the risk of developing them again is increased. Also if there's a family history of kidney stones there an increased risk to develop them. There genetics plays a big role in whether or not, a person will be at a higher risk to develop kidney stones, from eating oxalate rich foods.

Also those with Krohn's (also spelled Crohn's), or colitis tends to be more prone to developing kidney stones as are renal patients. Those with Krohn's who has had a colostomy procedure done, where the large intestine is either partially or completely removed, has to watch carefully their diet, for foods that's high in oxalates.Also most renal patients are advised to watch to not only watch, but also moderate their protein intake, but also their intake of oxalate rich foods. They can be prone to developing kidney stones as the kidneys aren't functioning properly.These are just some of the possibilities. There can be other potential causes for kidney stones to develop.

Yes. 

Basically, the best defense against kidney stones is having enough liquid in your regular diet.

It's extremely unlikely based on just that.