Could someone please help me understand this?

Hi all, below is an excerpt from The Godfather novel by Mario Puzo

"The two young men, glossy hair crew cut, scrubbed clean-cut faces composed into humble contrition, bowed their head in submission."

Okay now what is meant by "scrubbed clean-cut faces" here?

In British English 'clean-cut' means 'with well-defined features' - not flabby and pudgy.

I'm certain it can't mean 'clean-shaven'. As Tina suggests, it appears to mean they looked well-groomed.

'Scrubbed' just means 'thoroughly washed'.

• Tina

Apparently in American English 'clean-cut' means  'neat and wholesome' - they are 'scrubbed' because they have been thoroughly washed.

It means they are clean shaven, and have washed themselves well so they do not look scruffy.

It meant they "tidied up"....clean shaven,  put nice respectable clothes on,  to appear more  "wholesome and innocent"  than they actually were. 

• Liz

The looked like "choir boys" young and innocent.

Clean-shaven, youthful, healthy, respectable.

• Speed

I even know what scene this is and who those young men are. Good book.

The guys who beat and raped the daughter have changed their appearance to look like "good boys" to the judge. They are groomed to appear conservative and young, and they've been told how to act--submissively--by their lawyer. Puzo wants us readers to envision them looking wholesome and utterly innocent to the point that they seem incapable of what that actually did.

And it worked. (It still works today, too. Many judges continue to give young men accused of rape more benefit of the doubt than the victim gets.)

I can't remember, do we see any of the trial in the movie version? I'd be curious to see how the two men looked.

You joke was so unfunny I found peace