Shall I block this person?

This woman I used to work with a few years ago moved 150 miles away to another city/new job. She has always been selfish and I have done more for her than she has for me (she has a massive family and I have none).

We keep in touch via email/text, but her selfishness is getting worse and she is asking me to do her favours. She even missed my birthday! Well, I've had enough and have decided to call it a day with her. I haven't answered any of her recent texts or emails and she keeps texting every day asking if everything's OK as she obviously wants to know where I am. She only wants me so she can bore me to death with all her troubles and tribulations. When I asked a friend of mine whether I should block her, she said, "No, let her chase you". What do you think I should do? I don't want this person in my life anymore.

She's not my responsibility and has plenty of people to turn to, AD.  Whenever I give her advice she never takes it anyway.

• Chanel

She sounds irritating and maybe toxic.

Do not reply to her and she will get the message. I bet her family are fed up with her. Blood is not always thicker than water.

• PAMELA

So block her then! life is too short to bother with such people.

• Reese

To be honest, in your situation, I would compose myself and give her a call and tell her what you think of the whole situation straight. Remind her that she has a lot of family and friends and that you don't and that she keeps asking you favors, and that she forgot your birthday, and you found that rude. Tell her the things she has done that have upset you, and say that if she doesn't change you don't want to see her again and see what she says. It is known as plain speaking and sometimes it is the only way that people get the message. Tbh, ignoring people, or blocking and ghosting them without an explanation is what weak people do and it's pretty rude and uncouth so I would avoid doing that.

You are not under any obligation to maintain contact with this person so continue to remain distant or perhaps even consider blocking her numbers. Ultimately, you need to do what feels right for you.

you can block whoever the hell want to for whatever reason you please! I would say yes. it seems like a manipulative person who is just using you

i would block her

Block now. It's the best choice. 

No need to block her, which is an extreme and possibly aggressive action. Just don't answer her texts or emails until days have passed, and don't say anything interesting in them, or ask anything about her.

She'll soon get bored, and the relationship will come to a natural end without the drama of 'blocking'.

Put yourself in her shoes. If someone you thought was a friend were to suddenly ghost and block you out of the blue with no explanation, how would that feel? It wouldn't be fair, would it? I agree you should cut this person out of your life, but at least owe her and explanation of why you are doing so to cut the relationship clean.

• marys.momma

You could text her something like, "I have gotten extremely busy with work lately, and just don't have time to keep up with former acquaintances.  I'll miss communicating with you, but I'm sure you'll understand."

And there is your answer.

Are you an adult? If so, why in the world would you need random strangers on the internet to tell you who you should block from your life and who you shouldn't? Are you capable of making big grown-up decisions for yourself, or not?