Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 2 months ago

I know ponytail styles are damaging to hair, what are other ways to get it out of the way but protect it?

I have wanted long hair all my adult life and I can never seem to get past shoulder length. Usually it is just a impatient moment or something that makes me get a bob and I am back to growing out but for the last 2 years it has been a battle with taking MTX, a drug I need to survive but it makes me lose hair, not obvious til it starts growing back. I have permanent bangs without having to have them cut and I can tell even though I use the bands with no metal on them, that I pull hair out each time I use them for pony tails. I would reference the following photo but I found it on a google search and don't remember where I got it but basically that is my current hair goal and I probably need to thicken up a couple inches before I could pull it off. I am a super low maintenance girl. Other than at the salon for fun I never blowdry my hair, I only box color it once every 12-14 weeks to cover grays and I only wash it 3 times a week, and condition every day. I am 40 so I don't have a lot of oil like I used to so I can get away with that. Anyway sorry so wordy just looking for tips to protect my hair and get it to grow. Thanks.

Hello! In terms of protective hairstyles, you could always use a scrunchie instead of a traditional hair elastic; that worked for me in terms of preventing breakage. If that also doesn't work, you could use a large claw clip to loosely secure your hair instead. Another way to keep your hair out of your face while also protecting it would be to use a headband or scarf. As for growing your hair out, you seem like you're doing a pretty good job with taking care of it, but I would also suggest adding some sort of a hair mask to your routine for additional moisture as well as a strengthening serum. Make sure you trim your ends at least every 2 months to prevent split ends as well. Good luck!!