alan asked in HealthOther - Health · 2 months ago

Could I get sick if I stick a contaminated food thermometer back into the chicken?

I might just be acting paranoid but I’m wondering if I was using a food thermometer to check a chicken’s temperature which was only 120F and then constantly sticking it back in the chicken to check the temperature until it reaches its correct temperature which is 165F, could I get sick since I guess I kept sticking it in and out until I see when it was going to reach 165F?

No you're not bro. Always wipe anything like this every time you use it before sticking it back in. The odds on ya not gonna get sick but, after all this cooking is over, just maybe you forget to clean the thermometer and put it away. If this happened, YES! you could pick something up. 

.

Most foods we eat are so forgiving in this way, its almost like they are secretly looking after us by showing us they are not 100%. Chicken is a killer among killers, and to be honest bro someone would have to be pretty STUPID to ignore the signs.

• Tavy

NO, Chefs do this every day all over the World.

The final heat of the chicken will cook whatever is on the thermometer, and you will be safe.

• geezer

Well ..

HOPEFULLY you WASHED the theometer before you 'stuck it in' the first time.

After that the heat would kill anything .. and the temperature is an indication that it's 'hot enough to be cooked through', not that any germs have been killed (that's already happened).

Unless you lick the thermometer. Whatever germ that might be on the stick that gets stuck to the chicken will get cooked by the heat.