A crisis of faith. Does God really send people to hell, or is He "All Love"?

I have wondered a lot about God, and if whether or not God is true, the one talked about in Christianity.

And the way I see it, Jesus spoke of peace, love, and forgiveness. If God is the same kind of God who would send people to Hell for eternity just because they did something wrong, how could Jesus possibly be sent by him, when he said in the Gospel of John chapter 8:26: "The one who sent me, however, is truthful, and I tell the world only what I have heard from him.”

There is another scripture that springs to mind is this: "Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love." - 1:8.

So either God is all love, or if either God is not love and sends people to hell forever for doing wrong, which then means the Bible and the men who wrote it are wrong, or the Church is wrong in what they teach.

Plus, what kinda God would condone acts of child abuse, be it sexual or physical, so if the Church is "ordained by God", what kind of God is that?

Is it the God spoken of in the Old Testament, who showed mercy to his people many of times; just read Exodus through Deuteronomy and the book of Judges for examples of such mercy, and the God of the New Testament, the one Christ spoke of, or is it an entirely different God all together?

Update:

I'm very disillusioned with the idea of God, the Church, all of it. And I have to wonder, why the hell would people want to believe and worship a god who would send people to a place of fiery torment forever all because they did something wrong, even if these people realized they did wrong or not?

Update 2:

The late comedian George Carlin said: "Religion has actually convinced people that there is an invisible man living in the sky, and this invisible man watches everything that you do, and he has a list of 10 things things he doesn't want you to do, if you do any one of these 10 things, he will send you to a place where you will burn and suffer in anguish until the end of time.

But he loves you!

He loves you and he needs money.

He's all wise, all knowing, just not great with handling money."

Update 3:

I can definitely understand Carlin's POV, whi is why he called religion: "The greatest bullshit story", yet that same story has given hope to millions.

He also said: "Military cemeteries around the world are packed full of brainwashed dead soldiers who were convinced God was on their side. America prays for God to destroy our enemies, our enemies pray for God's to destroy us. Somebody's going to be disappointed! Someone's wasting their time. Could it be everyone?"

Update 4:

My point is, as Carlin said, either Christianity is "the greatest bullshit story" of all time, or the Church is completely wrong in how they represent God, and have completely missed something.

Update 5:

I'm completely disappointed and disillusioned. Not just with the idea of God, but also with people, who were according to the Bible: "Created in God's image".

If human beings were created in the image of God, what kind of God is that?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

Ex Christian, buddhist. It is my understanding that you send yourself to hell. God tried but you gave up on him .and all his morals

• 4 months ago

God (or maybe the operations of eternal laws) sends people to hell to purify them of their sins so they don't need to be lost to him forever.

Rev. 20:12-14 shows that death and hell must both be emptied and destroyed so that the resurrections and final judgment can take place. There is only finite punishment for finite sin. God's love, justice, and mercy are all intact.

• Paul
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

No, God doesn't "send" people to Hell. However, He does allow people who have rejected Him and want nothing to do with Him, have their wish. That's what Hell is.

• 4 months ago

It more about Heb. 9:27 and how John 12:48 is applied.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

Rant ------------------ reported.

• 4 months ago

You can choose to believe George Carlin or you can choose to believe Jesus Christ. Nobody warned more strongly of the need to avoid hell than did Jesus, and he became a man in order to die as "the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world." He bore the punishment we deserve for our sins, though He never sinned. This means that nobody needs to end up in torments in hell. But the rich man in Luke ch. 16 did not pay attention to God's written word. If we don't either, neither will we listen if someone rises from the grave - which Jesus did, as proof that He had conquered sin, death and the devil, and that He is the Son of God. Such love!  

God's righteous judgment was publicly displayed at Golgotha by punishing Christ for all sin, and thus disposing of such sin. But if we refuse to listen and so refuse to believe in that loving provision, we will be like that rich man who died and then found himself in torments. Ask yourself whether George Carlin left Heaven to be born as a man in order to be a comedian, and whether he is now in Heaven (or in the torments he ridiculed.) The Son of God came from Heaven to so identify with us that He became one of us, yet without sin. He chose to bore the punishment for our sin that we deserve. All for love's sake. Did George Carlin die for you? Did George Carlin have even an ounce of love for you? Jesus died for you, to show the extent of His love. Spurn Him if you think George Carlin had more words of wisdom than those of Christ as recorded in the Bible. But you won't be able to say nobody tried to warn you.

• 4 months ago

There is only one God, and His very self expression became flesh in Jesus Christ:

John 1:14 -

And the Word (His self expression) became flesh and dwelt among us,

and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,

full of grace and truth.

Your problem is that you don't have faith. God is an absolutely perfect being. And who can understand perfect? Not you or I. The Bible says that Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him as righteousness. Can't you just believe what God tells you? Can't trust God? You are trying to judge God, to determine if He is all loving or not, when such an endeavour is way way out of your ability to even begin to wrap your mind around it.

Is God an absolutely perfect being and is He love itself? Well, no point at all in even asking that since there is no way at all for us to know or discover that. It ought to be obvious that all we can do is believe God by faith in what He has revealed about Himself and His nature:

Heb 11:6 -

But without faith it is impossible to please Him,

for he who comes to God must believe that He is,

and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

You are one that is without faith. Work on getting more of that, ask God to help your lousy faith.

• Dooby
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

"Hell"... is the absence of the recycle bin. "Heaven" is the furnace where one is melted down and..... guess.

• 4 months ago

Do parents discipline their children or are they all love?

• 4 months ago

May God bless you and reveal Himself to you as your heart hungers for the truth.

We were created in the image of God, of love, in the beginning, but sin and guilt corrupted us. This is why Jesus came to redeem and restore us.

I’m sorry if America or other countries pray for their enemies to be destroyed if they mean human enemies. Our battle is not against flesh and blood.

God in no way condones child abuse - this happens if people rebel against God to follow deception, twisted lust and abuse of power the enemy tempts with.

You are right in saying people in the church don’t always represent Jesus well. But I’m seeing how He’s working right now to bring His people around the world to repentance, unity, and a returning back their first love (Jesus).

The bible does say we will all one day be face to face with God. In His holy presence of perfect love and truth, our own hearts will condemn us if we have not received Jesus’ atonement for our sins. There is no life in us unless we’ve received His mercy and forgiveness by faith. We are dead in sin until the Holy Spirit gives life to our spirits, uniting us to Jesus.

Those who reject His love, His salvation, His free gift of righteousness and eternal life, will not be able to be in heaven in His presence. The alternative for those who don’t want Him is eternal separation. I hate to think of this happening to anyone, but God gives free will and mercifully works in love over and over again to draw us to Himself.

I pray you heed His call.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.