promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why do we need active yeast on pizza dough?

The pizza crust is flat. so

why do we need to rise

the dough?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

The yeast is to make the dough more chewy, or edible when it's baked in the flat shape. If it didn't have yeast, the dough would be hard as a brick when cooked. Yeast makes air holes in the finished dough, which makes it more tender when cooked.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Yeast needs to be active for any bread dough as when yeast cannot be activated it cannot rise the dough.

• Janet
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you don't have yeast, it will have the taste and consistency of cardboard.

• polly
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

I suspect that some retail pizza chains must actually omit yeast from their dough recipe's then, because their pizza bases are indeed very much like cardboard.Combined with their cheap ham, cheese & toppings that aren't even fresh,I don't know how they stay in business

• Scott
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you don't, you'll have a tortilla.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

It also adds cheweyness and flavor. Other wise you may as well eat your pizza on a piece of hardtack.

• 2 months ago

Try mixing some flour and water and a little bit of salt together, spread it out flat, and bake it. Eat some. Is that what you want in a pizza crust? It's what you'd get if you don't use yeast.

• mrh-slos
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Thats how to make crisp bread.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Without it, it would be more like a crispbread or matza than a pizza base. However, if you cannot get yeast you may be able to substitute baking powder, in which the result will resemble soda bread. I have never made pizza bases, but I have occasionally made non-yeast flatbread, using baking powder, soda bread, and matza [even though I'm not Jewish} which is unleavened but very thin.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Because the crust would come out hard and thick having no air bubbles to soften it at all and it would be like eating a rock.

Take four large pieces of peanut brittle, about the size each of a Hershey bar. Stack them on top of each other then try and bite through all four... goodbye teeth.

The air bubbles from the activated yeast make the dough more playable and it holds the taste better.  Even thin crust is slightly aerated or there would just be a paste taste to the crust.

My brother made pizza when we were young, didn’t use the yeast or anything, just flour, water, egg.  It was nor eatable, we couldn’t cut through it.  Hie bread was just as bad.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.