My brain can't handle multiple moving parts. Am I just stupid?

I'm terrible at Math, but good at English. I'm not good at Science either. Anything with equations I find difficult. I am however, a deep thinker, even if my conclusions are slow coming. I've always enjoyed reading novels, and editing literature. I like making corrections and take satisfaction in placing things in their proper order, and tidying and sorting.

I play a lot of video games in my spare time. I'm usually pretty good at simple games like call of duty/shooters. However I have a terrible time with fighting games that have long or complicated button inputs. Even if I remember the combo, my brain knots and I press left when I want to press right. When I play league of legends, I do best with simplistic characters like Garen. When I play Smash Bros, I do best with simple characters like Ganondorf.My skill in those types of games has more to do with good decision making, and grasping the correct timing.

In fact, most things that I'm good at have simple uncomplicated concepts, and my skill at them most often comes from intense singular focus, and choosing the correct timing. My reflexes are not especially fast, and I know that games or concepts with too many parts don't stick in my brain. When I play chess I get so focused on an intricate plan that I forget the start of it, and as I try to recall the opening moves the rest of the plan unravels. I am good at feeling the "flow", and reading the intent of other people though.

Am I just stupid? If not, what's wrong with me?

• Carol

No you have specific skills that you should develop. Play to your strengths.

It's more as matter of how to use your brain and reflexes.

When I was in primary school, I missed a couple of years (because of illness). So, I fell way behind in things like arithmetic. But I read a lot, and hence was at least as smart as the best of my classmates in almost everything else.

My teacher at the time tried to show me how to do the strange things in arithmetic, like multiplying three and four digit numbers and how to do long division and exponentiation. But it just wouldn't sink in. Oh, and fractions (ARGGGGHHHH). In early high school, it was really bad -- science!

Then one day it all clicked: it was a matter of learning the right language