Drea asked in Social SciencePsychology · 4 months ago

Why are people so judgmental?

I understand we all judge. And I understand that calling people judgmental is being judgmental in itself. So not all judging is bad, but it seems people have become too comfortable with judging others in a negative way. For instance, people judge the way people talk. I saw a really good youtube video and all people could focus on is how the person talked. People also judge other people because they don't fit in with societal norms. Instead of celebrating our differences, people judge. People love to drag celebrities for mistakes they have made instead of hoping they become a better person. The list goes on...

4 Answers

Relevance
  • OTTO
    Lv 6
    4 months ago
    Favourite answer

When you say "people" you refer to critical people. Not everyone is critical and condemning. Those who are, are attempting to compensate for their own shortcomings by looking down on others i.e.making themselves feel big by making others look small. Thank you for not being a critical condemning person.

• 4 months ago

It is a part of human nature.

we are here for such a short time,we must judge.

• rick
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Eventually, you must make some determination about everybody. Avoiding such judgements as long as possible is prudent. Snap judgements and first impressions are usually wrong. Most people have good and bad sides. Don't try to make people fit YOUR idea of them, or try to put them in cubbyholes. They are individuals. Treat them as such. Observe, don't judge.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

People are social animals and have a pecking order, just like chickens do. The behavior you describe is how we keep each other in line, and how we decide who is higher or lower in status. We are constantly ranking each other.

Some of it is petty, and some of it is signifigant. It's all completely natural, though.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.