If you put all the viruses in the world from every human and animal in a bottle. How big would the bottle be?

• KennyB

It has been estimated that there are over 380 trillion viruses inhabiting a human, a community collectively known as the human virome.  Further, the best current estimate is that there are 10^31 virus particles in the biosphere.  Given that the mass of a single virus is 9.5 femtograms (lets call it 10^-14 g) that means that the total mass of viruses in the world is 10^16 g or 10^13 kg.  That's a pretty big bottle.

Looking at that number, I'm inclined to think that I calculated it wrong as that is a significant fraction of the total biomass on the planet.

Added in edit:  I found this quote "if all the 10^31 viruses on earth were laid end to end, they would stretch for 100 million light years"  So maybe my estimate is closer than I thought.

About the size of a wildebeest? Fūck, how would I know?