promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Kristy asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Cat not peeing in litter box?

I’ve had my car since she was a kitten. She’s never had a problem peeing in the litter box until recently. She did have a UTI but we gave her meds for it and she’s still peeing outside of the litter box. She has no problem pooping in the litter box only peeing. My mom is threatening to get rid of her. Please help!!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Lauren
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

She needs to see the vet again. She very well may have had a UTI but the main reason for cats peeing outside the litter box is a behavioral thing and not a UTI. Sometimes antibiotics are tried first just to see if it helps. Did the vet test a urine sample and actually find a UTI? If she really has a UTI and the UTI is STILL there, then she needs a urine culture to figure out what type of antibiotic she needs. This would involve the vets collecting a sterile sample and sending it out to a lab. If the UTIs keep happening, then she may have an underlying cause - like diabetes.  

When cats suddenly start peeing outside the litter box, it's often a stress thing. Cats can stress out for any kind of reason, even things that we don't find stressful. It might be due to a change in the household or the regular routine, or if there are new pets or family members hanging around, or even if she is an indoor only cat and she starts seeing cats outside through the window. It can be really frustrating for owners because sometimes we don't find the cause. If she truly does not have a UTI, sometimes behavioral prescription medications can be used. I know this is a tough issue to deal with, but she's trying to tell you that something is not right. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

She may STILL have a UTI and may need another round of antibiotics

• PR
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It sounds like either the medication did not work, or she has gotten another uti. 

Call the vet back and tell them what is happening. It is best to get this treated/retreated right away, in order to avoid a kidney infection. Call the vet to go in, or do a phone consult.

You could also consider some of the following:

-Covered box: Some cats don't like covered boxes. Take the lid off. 

-Box too small: Some cats like larger boxes, so a larger storage container may do the trick. A cat may also need a secondary box since some will pee in one box, and poop in the other (cats can be quite particular in their "potty habits".)

-Different litter: Usually, just a normal clay litter ought to work, but you could try adding a bit of landscape mulch over the top to make it seem more "natural".

-Outside: Some cats prefer to go outdoors for elimination. This certainly makes it easier on you in that you don't need to scoop the litter as often. Be sure kitty can get back inside as needed, and that she is actually used to the outdoors, and has an I.D. tag attached to her collar.

Other than those items, be sure to consult with the vet. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.