Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 4 months ago

What technology in the future do you think would be a giant leap, interstellar travel faster than light speed?

I read that element 115 might be the key if we can make it to be stable.

If mass can be negative, that would possibly allow it to happen, but that's a big if.

Element 115 is also known as Moscovium, and it  is an extremely radioactive element: its most stable known isotope, moscovium-290, has a half-life of only 0.65 seconds. I don't know how you'd make such a volatile element 'stable'... I'm not sure how it could be 'key' in going faster than light. 

Right now, all our science tells us faster than light isn't possible for matter. Can that change in the future?  Maybe... but I doubt (if it does) it'll be within my lifetime. But, I hope it becomes possible in the future. 

What would you do with it besides looking at countless lumps of rock up in the sky? I imagine that would get rather boring after the first thousand or so.

When someone can engineer an inertial compensator so human beings don't get smashed into protoplasmic too with shattered bones when spacecraft goes from faster then the speed of light in a via him speeds to sublight speeds. 

Faster than light travel is impossible. Relativity has confirmed that. 

Element 115 is an unstable radioactive element. How do you think a heavy element would lead to superluminal travel anyways? 

• Bill-M

No. Faster Than Light Travel is not possible now or 10000 years in the future.

Element 115 =

Moscovium is a synthetic chemical element with the symbol Mc and atomic number 115. It was first synthesized in 2003 by a joint team of Russian and American scientists at the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research (JINR) in Dubna, Russia. In December 2015, it was recognized as one of four new elements by the Joint Working Party of international scientific bodies IUPAC and IUPAP. On 28 November 2016, it was officially named after the Moscow Oblast, in which the JINR is situated.[6][7][8]

Moscovium is an extremely radioactive element: its most stable known isotope, moscovium-290, has a half-life of only 0.65 seconds.[9] In the periodic table, it is a p-block transactinide element. It is a member of the 7th period and is placed in group 15 as the heaviest pnictogen, although it has not been confirmed to behave as a heavier homologue of the pnictogen bismuth. Moscovium is calculated to have some properties similar to its lighter homologues, nitrogen, phosphorus, arsenic, antimony, and bismuth, and to be a post-transition metal, although it should also show several major differences from them. In particular, moscovium should also have significant similarities to thallium, as both have one rather loosely bound electron outside a quasi-closed shell. About 100 atoms of moscovium have been observed to date, all of which have been shown to have mass numbers from 287 to 290

As far as we know, FTL travel is not possible.  Tachynons are hypothetical particles that travel faster than the speed of light but they have not been found.