Can tampons give toxic shock syndrome?
- iblis666lovesyouLv 62 months agoFavourite answer
Yes. If left longer than the box says.
- EdnaLv 72 months ago
The old myth that a tampon left inside for a longer period of time than is recommended on the box can cause Toxic Shock Syndrome was completely debunked in the early 1970's.
Toxic Shock Syndrome is caused by bacterial toxins from Streptococcus or Staphylococcus infection. Bacteria enter the body through openings in the skin, such as wounds or cuts (especially after surgery). Hopefully, you don't have any wounds or cuts inside your vagina through which the bacteria could enter.
- D_21Lv 52 months ago
Yes, they can. If you leave a single tampon in for more than eight hours straight. The thing is that bacteria can start to grow inside the tampon. After eight hours it starts to proliferate lots more. Since it's already literally inside an internal organ it can rapidly attack the body. That's why it's important not to leave a tampon in for too long.
As long as you remember to change it out every few hours, tampons are perfectly safe. It's usually recommended that ladies use pads at night or when they sleep. Just in case they sleep longer than eight hours or aren't able to tend to a tampon in time. Better to be safe than sorry.
- TavyLv 72 months ago
No, the material was changed years ago.
- What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
- Diane ALv 72 months ago
Not much any longer. It was associated with the Rely tampon which was a specific sponge material. They were pulled off the market. Any TSS now days is due to something else as the focus.