Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 2 months ago

How does the trump incentive check work? ?

I’m 17 and my dad claimed me on his taxes for 2019. I worked a minimum wage job and moved out of his house in November of 2019. I had planned to file my own taxes but he did it so I don’t have to ‘worry about it’. To be clear/here’s more information I live on my own now and start a new job tomorrow at $11 an hour but otherwise haven’t had a job for the beginning of the year. So, am I eligible? 

• Eva

You are not. Dependents are not eligible for a check. You were legally a dependent for 2019.

Nope. Your dad screwed you by claiming your on his taxes.

No. Anyone claimed by someone else on 2019 taxes is not eligible for the check.

See IRS publication 501.  If you are not a dependent in 2020, you will have a second chance to claim the credit on that return.

you might be eligible

• danxp2

No you are not going to get a check now. 

The determining factor in your case would be support. Rent, food, phone bill, utilities etc. if you covered at least half of your support for 2019 you could have qualified, but living at home until Nov making minimum wage makes this unlikely. By what you have shared it is likely your father correctly had you as a dependent for 2019. 

This relief check is technically an advance on a tax credit for 2020. Next year when you file for 2020 taxes and you have paid your own way for 2020 where you are no longer a dependent, you can claim the 1,200 as a refundable tax credit to reduce taxes due and/or increase a refund.

You are no longer under 16 your dad won’t get anything extra now. 

• Shay

Your dad had the right to claim you.  You lived with him for the majority of the year and you were under 18 at the time.

You can still file your own taxes and mark that someone claimed you as a dependent.  You would still get a refund of any taxes you overpaid last year.  

Did he take your W-2 and actually file your W-2?  He can't add it to his tax return.   Your income must be done on a separate tax return in YOUR NAME ONLY.    

You do not qualify for the stimulus check that Trump has created.  

As you were claimed as a dependent, you will not receive the $1200 stimulus advance payment.